2006 blaster will not go full throttle; bogs around half throttle

geohill7874

Oct 29, 2011
South Ga, USA
I just got this quad. First thing is the parking brake switch is bad so i unhooked it, it would only idle untill i unplugged the wires. So now it will rev and drive OK but won't rev all the way up, it kinda bogs and sputters and has almost no power at 3/4 throttle. Sometimes it'll do full throttle and actually go but it smokes white smoke and backfires real loud a couple times, then return back to the regular bog. The carburetor has been cleaned and is not clogged or anything. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

My first guess would be the reeds, probably cracked, broken or loose. If not, compression test. If compression is normal at 120+psi I'd look into the TORs delete.

a leakdown test is a must before ever running this again
it must be airtight or it's gonna fry, and before diagnosing anything further !!!!!!!!

then try a new plug

a leakdown test is a must before ever running this again
it must be airtight or it's gonna fry, and before diagnosing anything further !!!!!!!!

then try a new plug

Air leak test,compression test and check the reeds then get back with results.

Another 2 candidates for leak down testers Slick!

PLEASE LISTEN TO THESE GUYS! Ya don't have to buy anything from me, but go get a leaktester and do the test! It will save your motor from a piston explosion! I do sell them look in my sig! I will also tell you what u need to go build one also if you prefer that!

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/build-use-leakdown-tester-10663/

My first guess would be the reeds, probably cracked, broken or loose. If not, compression test. If compression is normal at 120+psi I'd look into the TORs delete.

Ok i got new reeds installed and done a compression test also done the TORs delete. I started it up and still ran like crap, I also took carb apart and cleaned everything, my float was sticking for some reason, I cleaned that section reel good and gas still runs out the overflow tube. I could not get the gas to stop my fuel cutoff is also bad so I ran it out of gas the weird thing is as it was about to run out of gas it ran awesome for about 5 or 10 seconds.

for shats an giggles take ur airbox lid off if its not off already and take for a spin an see .. and when u unhook the parking brake sensor u have to connect the wires together .. and if it runs better with more air then ur to rich and check ur carb ..and if ur airbox lids off try slapping it back on and if it runs good then .ur to lean again check jets and carb .. also check the gas cap valve make sure its not clogged slightly and when reeds brake the bike usually over revs on its own and sputters like its rich .. and ur float problem u have to take the floats off completly and clean the lil jet that stops the fuel from coming down if theres 1 lil sand nugget it will stay hung up

It would be interesting to know what mods you have (if any) the size of the main jet, and in what position is the needle set.

for shats an giggles take ur airbox lid off if its not off already and take for a spin an see .. and when u unhook the parking brake sensor u have to connect the wires together .. and if it runs better with more air then ur to rich and check ur carb ..and if ur airbox lids off try slapping it back on and if it runs good then .ur to lean again check jets and carb .. also check the gas cap valve make sure its not clogged slightly and when reeds brake the bike usually over revs on its own and sputters like its rich .. and ur float problem u have to take the floats off completly and clean the lil jet that stops the fuel from coming down if theres 1 lil sand nugget it will stay hung up

ok i will take the lid off the airbox, as far as the parking break i just unplugged it from behind the headlight. could the float being hung open cause the thing to run rich.

sounds like you need a carb rebuild kit or you got some trash in the needle ans seat. pull the floats off again and clean where the needle goes into with a q tip and toothpaste turning it. then clean it all with carb cleaner spray and put it back together. if it still leaks you need a carb kit.