2004 Blaster Rear Caliper Alignment

Ramrod

Jul 21, 2019
Hi Guys!

Just went to put on some new pads on the rear of my Blaster but I am running into an alignment issue. is there any way to adjust the left right setting on these calipers?

When I take out the old pads, push in the piston as far in as it goes, put the new pads on I am 1/4" too far to the right (looking from the rear).

At first I thought it was the pads themselves so I ordered a different set from a better manufacturer, however that's not the issue as they are both the same thickness.

I have the parking brake and assembly removes and a block off plate installed (still have the same issued with the original parking brake hardware on the caliper).

I checked the service manual and didn't see anything about this... I feel like I am missing something I just can't figure out what!!!

Thanks for the help!!

(I currently have some spacers mounted so I can move it around easily.. However I want to have this fixed the right way for my next ride)

Thanks Larry! When you say pins do you mean the two bolts that the pads slide on?

If so I forgot to mention that I pickup up a rear caliper rebuild kit from All Balls (had to replace an o-ring) and it came with new bolts for the pads.

I imagine there are some pins that hold the yellow zinc plated mounting plate to the caliper (in the attached picture) that are seized and need to be lube?

If so they must really be stuck as I can get them to budge one bit!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2019-08-07_14-25-55.jpg
    2019-08-07_14-25-55.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 124
So I figure I would try and answer my own question with a bit of research and I think I know what I am going to try next.

The pin on the caliper bracket (next to the red arrow in the attachment) is likely frozen and not shifting to the correct position which in turn is causing my issue.

Hopefully I can get the piece to move without braking anything (pun intended)!!

Attachments

• 2019-08-07_16-06-26.jpg
    2019-08-07_16-06-26.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 131