1st Gear Running short, bike won’t idle with choke.

Regg1000

May 15, 2020
Hello Guys,
I recently bought a blaster for 800 bucks (paid way to much IMO). I got the bike, did an oil change, cleaned the carb, and put fresh new 32:1 premium gas with yamalube in it. The only thing I’m noticing is that first gear seems short and lacks that first gear bottom end power. But all the other gears are perfect.

Also, on a cold start. The bike won’t idle with the choke. On a cold start, when I pull the choke and it slightly cranks. Then I have to put the choke back in and start it by keeping my thumb on the throttle.

I’m not too sure what carb is in it, but i think it’s a standard pilot, and I know for sure it’s a 135 main jet, and its running a DG exhaust. If you can help me fix these two problems that’ll be great. Thank you.

1. Bike won’t idle with choke.
2. First gear isn’t choppy/slightly short and lacks power.

Hello Guys,
I recently bought a blaster for 800 bucks (paid way to much IMO). I got the bike, did an oil change, cleaned the carb, and put fresh new 32:1 premium gas with yamalube in it. The only thing I’m noticing is that first gear seems short and lacks that first gear bottom end power. But all the other gears are perfect.

Also, on a cold start. The bike won’t idle with the choke. On a cold start, when I pull the choke and it slightly cranks. Then I have to put the choke back in and start it by keeping my thumb on the throttle.

I’m not too sure what carb is in it, but i think it’s a standard pilot, and I know for sure it’s a 135 main jet, and its running a DG exhaust. If you can help me fix these two problems that’ll be great. Thank you.

For your problem with it not idling with the choke on I’d check the plug it could be bad could have been getting a rich mixture from the previous owner and fouled it out. I’d also recommend not using yamalube that stuff is garbage use something better like amsoil.

For your problem with it not idling with the choke on I’d check the plug it could be bad could have been getting a rich mixture from the previous owner and fouled it out. I’d also recommend not using yamalube that stuff is garbage use something better like amsoil.

Thanks for replying. I changed the spark plug as well. Brand new ngkB8ES. It still does it. Again, thanks for replying. Any advice is helpful.

Have you taken a look at the reeds?

When I took the carburetor out to clean it, I did a visual inspection. It looked good. I’m thinking it’s the air screw that needs an adjustment. When the bike gets hot it idles fine without the choke.

Hello Guys,

When you cleaned carb did you you check float height? The 135 main jet sounds like you have a kehin carb .blasters came with a. Mikuni carb. Check air screw adjustment.. Pilot jet could be to big also. With bike at operating temp. Adjust air screw in or out 1/2 turn to start then 1/4 and so on To achieve highest idle.waiting 15 seconds between turns to let engine stabilize.reset idle. With engine off then count how many turns in till lightly seated and write it down. And put it back what that number was. If between 1/2 to 2 1/2 out
You are good.more than 2 1/2 out you need a smaller pilot jet

Last edited: