1997 Yamaha blaster 240

andrew smitty

Feb 27, 2019
So I’m new to quads bare with me I recently purchased a 1997 Yamaha blaster kehine carb fmf silencer Vito’s 240 kit with a hot rod stage 2 stroker crank welded with a shaved head. I was recently riding when I let my friend get on it my back yard was a sheet of ice so there was absolutely no traction he put it in first gear and held the throttle about 3/4 of the way for a few minutes when all of a sudden it sounded like it was bogging lost all power then shut off I tried to kick it over after but it had so little compression that I could push the kicker down with 1 finger it sat for a few days and I recently stripped it down enough to take the head off I didn’t take the cylinder off yet but so far everything looks fine the head has some carbon built up but nothing out of the ordinary the piston has a decent amount on the top but no cracks or sighns of damage I then pushed the kicker so the piston would move and the cylinder looks prefect the top end has around 30 hours on it so I’m thinking that maybe just one of the rings gave or something but then again I really don’t know what I’m talking about any suggestions would be great thankyou

Should have done a leak down test BEFORE disassembly., Though cylinder and piston crown wpwoushow evidence.

Pull exhaust and look into the exhaust port for damage to the piston. Report/show anything unusual looking.

I looked and nothing seemed out of the ordinary the person I bought the blaster from said that he bet me 20 it wasn’t blown up based on the picture I showed him of the cylinder so I decided screw it free tee to Bucks so I threw everything back together turned the fuel on and ran into a new problem. It has a keihine carb and whenever I turn the gas on it keeps coming out of the overflow I don’t know why as I didn’t even touch the carb when I took the head off I’m terrible with carbs so I’m waiting for someone I know that has lots of exoeriemce with them to help me out but once I get everything taken apart I will give an update on what’s going on and what I’m going to do