1997 Polaris Magnum 425 4x4 Resurrection

ikilledcasey

Feb 26, 2014
Ft lauderdale, fl
Somewhat inherited a 1997 Polaris Magnum 425 4x4 that had been sitting for about three years under a tarp in south georgia, was told that it had bad gas from sitting too long and the guys son started taking things apart thinking he was gonna fix it. just some plugs unplugged and he broke the choke off, motor still turns when i pull the pull start so thats good news.
I plan on cleaning the carb and changing all the fluids and an new air filter all of the common sense stuff.
But i have a few questions, I found videos for the polaris 325 carb disassembly but none for the 425, do they have the same carb?
Also what are the recommended fluids? any comments on using some marvel mystery oil in it?
And i do not have the key, i know on the blasters you just remove the ignition switch and it'll run but any tricks for this polaris?
Any any other advice on bringing this thing back to life?

I had a 1996 425 Magnum.

Fluids... I just ran regular old green antifreze, and 10w30 in mine. Never had a problem there.

Where I always ran into problems was with bushings, bearings, and switch's.

There is a bushing on the steering column that is actually riveted onto the subframe. I ended up having a buddy making me one out of neoprene, and drilling the rivets out. Bolting the new one in its place. Electrically, the 4wd switch on the bars went out, and I never did fix it. Replacements were worth there weight in gold 15 years ago, and I was broke.

Keep an eye on the front drive chain. Keep it lubed and clean. It will get nasty from dirt and mud, and its really easy to forget about it.

All in all, that Polaris was a good quad. It had a bunch of torque, and went anywhere. Parts are alot easier to get now then back when I had mine.

What color did you get? I had blue and purple.

Right on, thank you!
And you know anything about the ignition? i don't have the key but I'm sure theres a way to just splice the wires together or something.
And i got the green and grey one i think it is. green panels but the headlight cover is grey.
when i was loading it into the truck there was a spider on it the size of my hand almost.... really hoping no more come out when i start tearing into it haha still a little freaked out from the size of that thing i just know I'm gonna pop one of the panels off and its gonna be on the other side.
ill put up some pictures when i go back out there.

I never had any ignition problems. I'm sure you can bypass it or get a replacement key ignition. I remember finding a downloadable wiring diagram for it somewhere online when I was having trouble with the fan switch. I'll see if I can find it again for you.

I actually saw my old one on Craigslist within the last year. Still had the blackwater xt tires on it, and the front rack was still bent from a donut that hooked up when I wasn't expecting it.

Check the wire going to the switch splice together at the really nice terminal panel Polaris gives you. It should operate with the engine stop switch on the handle bar