1988 warrior no spark

loh61546

Jul 24, 2010
Manito, IL.
My son and I purchased a not running 1988 warrior. Does not have any spark. have been through the wiring and have fixed any crap wires. All connections are good. Coil has been tested and is good. spark plug is good. Cap and wire good. Then we tested the stator. it had one bad coil. it was actually broken off inside the cover. Seemed strange. Bought a used stator. it tested out perfect. We installed it. Still no fire. Not even a glimmer. So now i'm thinking a cdi. Which seems to be very difficult to find for this year.

Only other thing I was not sure about is the flywheel key. if it is sheared off will this keep it from firing at all? I have not checked it yet. Ant help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt, you've got a bad CDI box. If everything else has tested good and the igntion system still won't fire, you'll have to find a replacement CDI box. Warriors were actually known for having CDI boxes go bad, and not just in the early years. I bought my 1994 Warrior with no fire, and that's what I had to get to have it up and running again. And its not the only one I've seen with this problem. I've seen 1999 + models with the same issue.

I would give RM Stator a call and talk to them about a replacement. I just checked their website, and they don't show a CDI box available for that year model, but somebody there can point you in the right direction. Warriors haven't changed much over the years, and chances are the part number of the 1988 CDI box superceded in the later years of production. You SHOULD be able to run a box from a newer Warrior without issue, BUT CALL FIRST to be 100%, because even if a different box plugs up to the wiring harness, it may have a different timing curve than what the engine requires for best performance.

OH, and a sheared key WILL NOT have any effect on the igntion system firing. It will prevent the engine from running, but the plug will still spark with a sheared key. You can rule that out as your problem until you get spark restored to the plug.

Yeah I was afraid of that. Cdi's for the year seem impossible to find. Seems as though the 88-89 where the same. 1987 different, 90 and later different. Even the stators are different. Well I'll have to give RM Stator a call and see.

Thanks for the quick replyand help.

No prob! Hope you get it figured out!

Might also want to give Rick's Motorsports a call (Ricky Stator). They're my second choice for replacement parts, but they also have a good selection and may have something RM Stator doesn't.

I don't know if the wiring colors are the same on the 88, but double check to make sure the B/W wire to the CDI is NOT shorted to ground when the key is on and the kill switch is set to run. It should only be grounded if its set to off.

I also picked up a non runner, either 87 or 88. Either way the cdi was specific to that year, and will only be available new from stealer. A Clymers manual will be way helpful, as you also need to check the safty switches, clutch, reverse, etc. Also check that the fuse by the selenoid is good.

I ran into the guy that bought it from me and he had to replace cdi AND voltage regulator. BTW, I swapped all tires, took complete rear brake, front bumper, swapped seat before I sold it for $50 more than I paid, LOL.

I have checked nuetral switch reverse switch fuse, clutch switch and about anything else i can think of. There is no way i am paying $700.00 dollars to the dealer for a new one. LOL.

I'm just gonna have to come across a used one hopefully.

Good luck! You'll get it. Parts like that aren't high-demand, so unless somebody else is watching it, you've got it made most of the time.