1987 Yamaha Warrior Build

Ba9801

Jun 21, 2009
Trevose, PA
www.midnightautopa.com
ok so I am building an 87 Warrior for my wife.
It was in running but poor shape. It was smoking like crazy and after disassemble we found .008 wear in the cylinder. So a new Weisco .020 piston is going in. The plastics were all cut for racing so we took them off and I have plastics from a 90-up style we are going to use. Also the headlight and taillights were gone so also we will use the 90-up ones. I know I will have to make a bracket to make the headlights fit but everything else looks like it will fit pretty well. The bike frame was blue, with blue & white plastics. I really should have taken a before picture. Anyway I will post up some new pics of what it looks like now.
Hopefully to be finished up in another week. Just waiting for some last parts to come.
I know it is not a Blaster, but at least it is a Yamaha
:)

Full parts list so far:

Frame Paint - Citrone Yellow (Original Muscle Mopar Color)
Powder Coated Swingarm & Grab Bar - Gloss Black

Weisco .020 Piston Kit
K&S Top End Gasket Set
MSD Ignition Coil
Accel 8.8 Ignition Wire
NGK DR8EA Spark Plug
K&N Filter w/Outerwears
Custom Air Box Lid W/Outerwears
White Brothers Mikuni VM36 Carb Kit
HMF Slip-On
New Yamaha Engine Recoil Pull Start Assembly

MSR Handlebars
ProTaper Grips
Moose Competition Levers
Motion Pro Throttle Cable 01-0647
Motion Pro Clutch Cable
Modified IMS Flightline YZ250 Shift Lever

Diamond J Customs Front Widening and Shock Conversion Kit +6.0"
Honda 400EX Front Shocks
American Stars MX Star Chromoly Tie Rods +3
01 Warrior stock Rear Shock
All Balls Swing-arm Bearing Kit

DID 520 O-Ring Chain - 100 Link
PBI 13 Tooth Front / 42 Tooth Rear Sprockets
ITP T-9 Pro Series Baja Rear Wheels Black 4/115 9x9 3.0+6.0
ITP T-9 Pro Series Front Wheel 4/156 10x5 2.0+3.0
Maxxis Razr 20x11x9 Rears
ITP Holeshot MXR6 20x6x10 Fronts

EBC Rear Brake Pads
ECA Parking Brake Block Off Plate

90-up Plastics, Front Bumper & Headlight Assembly
Diamond Plate Body Skid Pad
Armadillo Swing-arm Skid Plate
Jarden Nerf Bars
Custom Covered Seat
2005 Raptor Heel Guards
Interstate Battery
Custom Over-sized Battery Cables

DSC01292.jpg

DSC01293.jpg

DSC01294.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

DSC01296.jpg

DSC01297.jpg

DSC01301.jpg

DSC01302.jpg

DSC01303.jpg

Looks good! Except I would ditch that carb and get one of a LTZ/KFX/DVX 400. Also the Raptor 350 Foot pegs are a nice upgrade, they are 2 and a half times the width of the stockers.

looks great and i know this is off topic but do those shocks fit on a blaster and are thay better????

Bad ass warrior bro. I have a 2001 im gonna start doin stuff to.

I know its off topic but can we get some pics of that red porcshe in the background?

Thanks alot guys. I am hoping to have it running this week. As for the pegs I dont think I will really need to worry much as the bike is for my wife and she has small feet. :)
As for the carb, I will see how it runs and go from there. I was also thinking about running a Mukuni TM flat slide if the VM does not work so well. The front shocks are off a Honda 400ex and gives the bike alot more travel. If you are interested look into Diamond J Customs for a shock conversion kit. I am not sure if it will work with the stock width of your bike though, you may need to do a widening kit or longer A-arms.

As for that Porsche is actually a very old kit car (57 replica). It is built on a VW frame and does have alot of real parts on it. It is in need of a redo as well.
I think my friend is going to sell it.

I am just about completed, I am only waiting for the push button start and I still have to modify a headlight bracket on it. Hopefully it is running by the weekend.

Shifter Pics - IMS Flightline YZ250
I had to rebend this shifter in my press to allow it to clear the recoil pull starter. Fits perfect now.

DSC01428.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

DSC01426.jpg

OK Finally some finished pics. It still does not run but at least it is a complete bike now. It looks as though my cdi box is bad so I am waiting for one to come. Then I hope I will finally be able to ride this thing. :)

DSC01435.jpg

DSC01431.jpg

DSC01430.jpg

DSC01432.jpg

DSC01433.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

time to widen the back now hehe =] are u painting front rims to match the rear just wondering looking sweet man raptor 350 plastics bolt right up too if u are interested in buying them

I will be replacing the rear axle & carrier as soon I have some more cash, Also I will replace the front wheels with matching ones. I wanted to make sure the bike ran good first before spending more money on it. I will probably get a Dura Blue Eliminator 2+2 rear axle. I will also probably get a billet double bearing carrier from RAD. I already put on the different offset wheels to help compensate for the wider front suspension. They are 6x3 offset, so that gives me another inch on each side. I also want to get a different front bumper and some steel braided front brake hoses, then I should be all done. AS for the Raptor plastics, I dont think they will bolt right up as the 87-89 frames are different than the 90-04 ones. I had to modify some stuff to make these fit. The headlight assembly is from a 90-04 and I had to weld the headlight bracket assembly to the frame. I got the bracket from a guy with a bent frame, He cut it off for me. Also the hood does not bolt on the same I still need to make a bracket for that. I will finish that up tomorrow morning.