1987 Honda TRX250X Restore Project!

trapper 1306

May 30, 2009
Scranton, Pa
Well , just dug this out after sitting under my deck for 6 years. This quad being a little worse , visually at least, than the '94 Blaster I just finished a couple weeks ago. I took the plastics off, drained the fuel out of the tank and carb, and tried to get the plug out but a no normal socket would fit. So I tried relentlessly to get it to fire, but had no luck. Luck did come when my dad found the care package that came with the quad and bingo! a really skinny tube to remove the spark plug. So I took it out, wirewheeled it, and put it back in, one kick and vroom! fired right up runs great!!! Problems to be fixed on this quad include: Patch rear tire, new chain and sprockets, possible leak in the case (the chain guard is definately broke). Now off to pressure wash, then this week the teardown... PICS TO COME SOON I:I

87trx250r001.jpg

87trx250r004.jpg

87trx250r006.jpg

Haha thanks , yeah it will be a light overhaul, just painting and cleaning basically, and fixing it so it runs: parts I ordered today from Rocky Mtn are : Spark Plug, Uni Filter, Chain and sprocket kit. I'm hopefully gunna start tearing down and painting tonight.

Here it is after getting an extensive pressure wash:

87trx250r008.jpg

87trx250r009.jpg

87trx250r007.jpg

well your at it pull the tank off and inspect the hump in the tank right behind the petcock on the bottom side there KNOWN to crack right there so inspect it for cracks before you put it together and find out its crack,.. a lil jb weld works wonders

Well I had some time before work today to clean and paint the exhaust, along with the footpegs, airbo, and a few other little things. Then after work I tore off the rest of what I wanted to take off, sanded whirewheeled, cleaned, and then painted silver frame, red hubs tank sprockets handlebars bumpers, and black accents on a few things like calipers and brake and starter levers. Just need to get some high temp silver paint for the block tomorow and can start re assembly. Hopefully I can finish most of it tomorow then just waiting on parts from Rocky Mtn.

camerapictures011.jpg

camerapictures004.jpg

camerapictures015.jpg

You have too many projects, look even your f350 has the tires off! You did a great job restoring the mean green blaster, I cant wait to see what you pull off with this one! keep up the good work!

Ahah yeah the F350 got a fifth wheel installed to pull the new 38' race trailer, and needed some new brakes, but thats not my project, thats my dad's ;] ..Kinda stuck now forgetting noone is home this morning to bring me to get paint X l so I'm gunna polish the rims and put the front end back together on it until I can get some paint for the motor later...

Reactions: blasterfreek30
Quick update: Rear hubs, tie rods, shocks all back on and rims polished and put back on so I can get it out of the way, still waiting on motor paint for final assembly...

camerapictures017.jpg

camerapictures018.jpg

That looks awesome. You've only had it for what, 2-3 weeks now, and from what I've seen, it already looks like a night and day difference from those first pics you took. Great job man, can't wait to see the end result!

well come up to scranton, i can keep you busy all summer with projects like this lol... and I just got paint now, gunna wait til tomorow to finish it up, total time for the restore besides the parts from Rocky Mtn will hopefully be 5 days, totalling about 15 hours of TLC. =]

MOTOR PAINTED, going back together now! Just lacking intake, exhaust, gas tank, and body will probably not be until the weekend.... Here it is so far:

camerapictures027.jpg

camerapictures032.jpg

camerapictures031.jpg