04 Blaster no spark, need to troubleshoot my troubleshooting

Et2rnal Smoker

Oct 22, 2012
Ok, I am going through the electrical components with a multimeter according to the shop manual. Now admittedly electrical troubleshooting is about at the bottom of my list of mechanical skills, but I am not having much luck at all to the point where I am stuck , frustrated and am in need of experienced guidance.

issue #1: Some of the components I need to test (Main switch) are not easy to indentify from the pictures and in the case of the (Run Switch) have different color lead wires than what is identified in the manual.

issue #2: Having tested two of the coils on the stator, one tests within spec while I get no reading at all on the other, which would logically lead one to believe that that coil is bad. However, upon testing the ignition coil in both maners instructed, one test yields a number Way out of spec while the other test gives no reading at all. Of course its highly unlikely that multiple components failed all at once, so this makes no sense unless I am taking incorrect readings somehow.

I am confused and frustrated. While I understand to some degree how the electrical system works, I have No real experience and skills in this area. I just wanna identify the problem part so I can get back to enjoying riding again.

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

soo it ran then died?
or was it dead all along.
tors deleted?
confirmed no spark by grounding plug to side of cylinder?

your other thread says you had a bunch of water in stator cover?
have you replaced anything electrical yet/or still testing...that was 2 1/2 months ago lol:D

soo it ran then died?
or was it dead all along.
tors deleted?
confirmed no spark by grounding plug to side of cylinder?
it suddenly died while running. Tors is intact. Yes, confirmed no spark from plug by kicking it while grounded against cylinder.

your other thread says you had a bunch of water in stator cover?
have you replaced anything electrical yet/or still testing...that was 2 1/2 months ago lol:D
Yeah, I have been a bit busy for a while. Lol
I did suspect the stator because of all the water that was in there. So much so, that I actually ordered one of the cheap chinese ones from EBay. Installed it and still didnt start, so I returned it. The quality of that unit was crap.

got pics?
5 wire stator?
delete rors for ha has/or so us some pics to confirm if it deleted or still has lingering parts/wires whatever:)..although it should idle regardless/sometimes not

got pics?
5 wire stator?
delete rors for ha has/or so us some pics to confirm if it deleted or still has lingering parts/wires whatever:)..although it should idle regardless/sometimes not
5 Wire stator. TORS device is still present on top of carb as well as all of the wiring. I know what it runs like when the TORS system is engaged. This is not that, it just stopped suddenly while it was idling as if the kill switch was turned off.
Ill get some pics as soon as I can.

Couple things:
Make sure meter is in correct "range"
Try testing ign coil without cap. Trim 1/4" off wire. Plug wire to laminates= secondary, input to lam= primary. Re-install with bit of dielectric grease. Cap ohms @ 5k iirc.
Remove TORS according to 03+ instructions.
Ign/key continuity in on posistion. Off/kill conti in off pos, but 0 in on posistion.
Make sure coil has clean, bare metal frame/coil, add di-grease.
Wire diagram should show colors of source and trigger coil, test at first connections. Clean and grease all connections. Make sure they're tight.

i cant believe blasters have so many electrical problems.
i have had 3 of them with zero electrical problems.
from reading on here many times it is this.
stator/bad ground/connecting wires wrong/ignition coil.
you cant put a cheap stator on them.......
in fact out of all the quad/dirtbikes i have had..never had electrical problem/just cranks locking up...from hard riding/racing

Last edited:
Have you tested the 5 wires coming off the stator? I lost spark with mine and found a short with a multimeter.
I have one set of wires coming off the stator that get no reading to one coil....but I also get no reading on other tests of ignition coil as well. I must be doing something wrong with the multimeter.

i cant believe blasters have so many electrical problems.
i have had 3 of them with zero electrical problems.
from reading on here many times it is this.
stator/bad ground/connecting wires wrong/ignition coil.
you cant put a cheap stator on them.......
in fact out of all the quad/dirtbikes i have had..never had electrical problem/just cranks locking up...from hard riding/racing
Ive ridden and raced many dirtbikes over the years and have never once had any electrical problem of any kind either......ergo my lack of experience with that matter.

Do you have the multimeter set to ohms? If you arent getting a reading that should be a dead giveaway something is up. You may just have a broken wire as I did.

I believe the manual you can download on this forum gives you a detailed description on how to test the wires and what readings you should be getting.

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/yamaha-blaster-service-manual.60853/

if you cant.
disconnect/kill/key switch.
clean grounds./check all wires for contact/corrosion.
cut boot 1/4 inch/new plug.
delete tors.
then there is only this cdi/ignition coil/stator/timing/flywheel.
i know its a long list but it is what it is:)
everything holds resale value......get after it:D
more then likely from you saying water in stator/you need oem stator/or rebuild coils on the stator....
others will post/links again and advice...
or maybe a stock oem stator in wanted section.

yup go back in the pgs of electrical threads and read to help you out.
it has been written a million times?
alot of it prob cuz people bought the cheap e-bay stators?
lol