03 Brakes

Listentothelaw

Sep 1, 2018
New to the forum. I bought my son an 03 blaster. When we got it there where no rear brakes on it but the guy gave us an entire hydrolic break assembly and I can't figure out how or where to attach them to the frame. I have limited mechanical abilities. Have looked on YouTube but not able to find 03 brake assembly. Any help is appreciated.

download the repair manual from here, it'll show you what's what............
https://www.blasterforum.com/thread...ervice-and-owner-manuals-free-download.17325/

some pics of your frame around the right side peg, and the axle carrier/brake disc side will help us help you.
are there hydraulic brakes on the front ?
is there 03+ hood with built in headlight on it ?
it's possible he sold you a pre 03 blaster and gave you the 03+ brakes with it, but they're not a direct bolt on, but can be done

get us some pics of what you're working with ?

download the repair manual from here, it'll show you what's what............
https://www.blasterforum.com/thread...ervice-and-owner-manuals-free-download.17325/

some pics of your frame around the right side peg, and the axle carrier/brake disc side will help us help you.
are there hydraulic brakes on the front ?
is there 03+ hood with built in headlight on it ?
it's possible he sold you a pre 03 blaster and gave you the 03+ brakes with it, but they're not a direct bolt on, but can be done

get us some pics of what you're working with ?

Here are some pictures. Serial #, brakes that were sold with the blaster, nerf bar. And front brake.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks for the help.
20180901_204213.jpg 20180901_204132.jpg 20180901_204155.jpg 20180902_085223.jpg
20180901_204619.jpg

just as I suspected, that is a pre 03 blaster :(
cable front brakes and the angled bracket off the frame right behind where the peg mounts is where the e-brake cable went thru, and the shorter rusty peg shown, thats all pre 03 cable brake stuff.

pre 03 cable brake frame
cb.jpg

to use those hydro brakes will require a fabbed bolt on bracket, or cut off the cable bracket and weld on a new bracket to hold the new hydro master in the correct position, a new/used 03+ footpeg to use the hydro brake pedal

master mounts.....

bolt on
full

weld on
full

not sure if either of those mounts will work with 03 pedals, I used pre 03 pedals with welded on extensions

on the swingarm, I see the wire holders that are common to 03+ swingarms to route the hydro lines, so it's possible he already replaced that ?
lets see pics from behind of the axle, carrier, brake disc ?

btw, chose full size for pics, not thumbnails

Sending p
just as I suspected, that is a pre 03 blaster :(
cable front brakes and the angled bracket off the frame right behind where the peg mounts is where the e-brake cable went thru, and the shorter rusty peg shown, thats all pre 03 cable brake stuff.

pre 03 cable brake frame
View attachment 32946

to use those hydro brakes will require a fabbed bolt on bracket, or cut off the cable bracket and weld on a new bracket to hold the new hydro master in the correct position, a new/used 03+ footpeg to use the hydro brake pedal

master mounts.....

bolt on
full

weld on
full

not sure if either of those mounts will work with 03 pedals, I used pre 03 pedals with welded on extensions

on the swingarm, I see the wire holders that are common to 03+ swingarms to route the hydro lines, so it's possible he already replaced that ?
lets see pics from behind of the axle, carrier, brake disc ?

btw, chose full size for pics, not 0

I may go with cable brakes. If so, what year would I order if swingarm is 03 and frame 93?
20180902_195313.jpg
20180902_195309.jpg
20180902_195241.jpg
20180902_195158.jpg
20180902_195053.jpg

20180902_195318.jpg

that swingarm is 03+ for a hydro caliper, you're already 2/3 way to rear hydro brakes !
I'll assume it's the same as the other way around and not a bolt on situation, although you may be the first ever to even ask if a cable caliper will fit on a hydro carrier. it will not bolt right on.
to go back to all cable brakes (not recommended) you'll need a pre 03 carrier.

I'd just go ahead and get those hydro brakes mounted up if I were you, you'll need an 03+ peg for the 03+ pedal to mount to. then mount the master to the peg and swing it up into place and see what needs made for a bracket to get it mounted, use the pics I posted above for reference, bolt on requires the angled cable bracket to stay, weld on does better with it removed < that's using the pre 03 pedals I had with a welded on 3" extensions, the 03 pedal with it's short extension may require the cable bracket removed for either way ?

Reactions: Listentothelaw
BTW..... that carrier needs the chain adjuster bolts and nuts, so I'll assume someone cut the chain so tight they aren't needed as shown in your pic ?

rb.jpg

Attachments

• rb.jpg
    rb.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 136
Awk08
I appreciate your help! Can't see pics of weld on, bolt on examples. 03 peg and 03 pedal. Where do you recommend to get peg, pedal, chain adjuster nuts and bolts? "Mount the master to the peg"? Not sure what you mean? Will this work with nerf bars that are on it?
20180902_222103.jpg

make a post for parts on here, or search ebay.

the peg on those nerfs have a forward mount for a pre 03 pedal, an 03+ requires it back further.
that peg is just the mount plate from a blaster peg with a steel pipe welded to it, so the pipe could be cut off and welded to an 03+ plate after cutting the actual stock peg off. I made similar mounts when I put lt450 nerfs on my blaster

here's the pics again of both types of mounts I've used.....

bolt on
full

weld on
full

as for my statement about "mount master to pedal, then swing it up into place"
means connect the clevis to the master rod with the pin and cotter key, then swing it up against the angled frame to see where it needs mounted and make a bracket to fit.
fabbing hydro brakes all starts with the master to pedal connection, so the rod stays straight and travels up into the master as straight as possibe when the pedal is pushed, the bracket must be made to keep that alignment.

Awk08,
Now I get the idea "mount master to pedal." Still can't get "bolt on" and "weld on" to open. Would you mind sending again? Also, if you can send me a picture of how you did the peg and lt450 nerfs, that would be really helpful. Thanks for all of your help!!!!!!