03 blaster pull started but has no spark now!!

03blast

Jun 2, 2020
hey i have a 03 yamaha blaster i rebuilt the top end and pulled started it. it ran but didn’t idle and shut off. is my cdi bad or my engine stator???? help please and all knowledge is appreciated.

hey i have a 03 yamaha blaster i rebuilt the top end and pulled started it. it ran but didn’t idle and shut off. is my cdi bad or my engine stator???? help please and all knowledge is appreciated.
Going to ask you alot of questions to try to get more information.the more you can provide the better we can narrow down your problem.Why did you feel you had to pull start it after a new topend? Also why was a new topend installed.did it have the same symptoms you are. Experiencing now? If cdi is bad it won't start . is it getting spark? Somtimes pull starting can shear flywheel key. To check that you need a flywheel puller.Fresh fuel? Carburetor squeaky clean. All jets and holes clean and blown thru. A pluged pilot jet will make it hard to start..new plug. Reeds in good shape and sealing tight.

Going to ask you alot of questions to try to get more information.the more you can provide the better we can narrow down your problem.Why did you feel you had to pull start it after a new topend? Also why was a new topend installed.did it have the same symptoms you are. Experiencing now? If cdi is bad it won't start . is it getting spark? Somtimes pull starting can shear flywheel key. To check that you need a flywheel puller.Fresh fuel? Carburetor squeaky clean. All jets and holes clean and blown thru. A pluged pilot jet will make it hard to start..new plug. Reeds in good shape and sealing tight.

my bike had no compression before i put a top end on it but now i check it and it’s 130 and holding but no it’s has no spark what so ever. You can pull the spark plug out of the head and put it on metal and literally no spark. i put a test light on the coil wire(the hot wire) that plugs it up and no fire is there. i have brand new carburetor and reeds. thanks in advance!

my bike had no compression before i put a top end on it but now i check it and it’s 130 and holding but no it’s has no spark what so ever. You can pull the spark plug out of the head and put it on metal and literally no spark. i put a test light on the coil wire(the hot wire) that plugs it up and no fire is there. i have brand new carburetor and reeds. thanks in advance!
Did you do top end in the frame? Check coil wire. Un screw plug cap and ohm check to make sure it's good. Cut back plug wire. 1/2 inch. Make sure it is long enough first. Ground wire on coil has good bare metal contact on frame.kill switch in run position:D. Stator wires pluged in good if unplugged. Could be something you unplugged or disturbed during your rebuild.new plug?

As for having no compression on old piston. That usually points to a lean condition. Air leak. Jetting. Which should be checked before riding .

As for having no compression on old piston. That usually points to a lean condition. Air leak. Jetting. Which should be checked before riding .
ok i have spark now it was my engine stator but i have no gas getting down in the cylinder because i can a little gas in the spark plug hole and it will try to start but shut off where do i start now?[/QUOTE]

ok i have spark now it was my engine stator but i have no gas getting down in the cylinder because i can a little gas in the spark plug hole and it will try to start but shut off where do i start now?
[/QUOTE]
If you feel you are not getting gas then start at the source. Pull fuel line off carb turn petcock on and see if you have good solid flow.if not screen could be plugged or debris in petcock. Fuel cap venting? If good go to drain on float bowl open it and check for flow.if no flow float could be stuck .tap. Bowl are with something. I see you mentioned new carb? Is it a $25 carb.. Try cracking throttle a little while trying to start. Idle may be set to low?

If you feel you are not getting gas then start at the source. Pull fuel line off carb turn petcock on and see if you have good solid flow.if not screen could be plugged or debris in petcock. Fuel cap venting? If good go to drain on float bowl open it and check for flow.if no flow float could be stuck .tap. Bowl are with something. I see you mentioned new carb? Is it a $25 carb.. Try cracking throttle a little while trying to start. Idle may be set to low?[/QUOTE]

okay i checked the carburetor and the main jet was 135 so i put the old main jet i had that was 250 and it acts like it wants to start up but dies, do you think a intake boot can cause it not to start because i think i have a little crack in it? that’s the only thing that is not new on the quad and i can’t give up now because i came this far thanks for your help by the way.

Last edited: