02 blaster won't stay running

Greg7

Aug 30, 2019
Working on my neighbors 02 blaster
Here's what happened:
He started it up and got about 2 minutes down the road and it died on him. He couldn't get it started back up so I went to help.

Noticed fuel leaking out of overflow so I figured stuck float needle. Disassembled carb and cleaned it thoroughly. Quad starts but will only run for a few seconds before dying however still has fuel coming out of overflow. Installed a new carb with same size jets as to not have to deal with going through old carb again. Solved fuel overflowing but still only run for a few seconds.

Replaced reeds/spark plug/fuel. Head gasket looks fine and piston skirt looks fine. Tors is removed.

When engine is cold it runs for maybe 15 seconds. After that it will only run for a second or two before dying. Working the throttle or not I can't get it to run longer than 2 seconds.

Did not compression test or leakdown test yet. What else should I test or look for?
Thanks!

Ok so problem solved. Started looking at electrical. Removed flywheel. Turns out the stator bolts came loose. Didn't help that the bolt heads were stripped from the last time someone replaced the stator. So I cut some slots in the heads so I could tighten everything up until I get new hardware. Sprayed everything with electrical cleaner and wiped it all down including inside flywheel. Reassembled everything and it fired right up and ran great.

Reactions: Awk08
Good save for what appeared to be a fuel problem and you find electrical
thumb.jpg