YZF600 engine stuffed into a 90 blaster

The glassing looks good . You can use some filler to re-shape it . I dipped mine last year...still looks good . After you let the dip dry for 3-4 days use some spray detail wax on the dip . Makes it more scratch resistant and overall makes it look better . After every 3-4 rides I put another coat on after the wash . I used cans last year . When I change the color soon I'm going to dip it with a hvlp gun .

Two problems I can't seem to get worked out.

1) Clutch plates are stuck I believe. I've adjusted the clutch mechanism and at the lever properly and it's definitely pushing the rod but not disengaging the clutch. I've tried just dropping it into gear multiple times, warming bike up to get hot oil over them, running the bike with the wheels off the ground, rocking it back and forth with the clutch in engine off. Nothing seems to give. I'm not really wanting to try and bump start it since I'd have to drop it in gear while rolling pretty quick and then have to push it up a hill if it doesn't work. I may just have to take the clutch apart.

2) I cannot get these front brakes working. They were off the bike when I got it but I took them apart, cleaned up and rebuilt (using the original seals but they looked fine), using new lines and I've tried 2 new master cylinders. The master shoots fluid up out of the tiny hole when released so it's working and fluid pours out of the lines at the master when I loosen the banjo. No air bubbles any more out of calipers yet still nothing. I've gravity fed them and bled them, used a vacuum bleeder and no luck. Getting frustrated. I want to ride this thing.

Wow, never have I had such a hard time with brakes as I have with these. Even multi piston calipers. Anyway, they're working for now. Still feel a little spongy so I'll come back to them later. Maybe I'm just not used to smaller brakes but these almost feel like drums in the sense that they don't dive as much as they kind of fade.

Now to take the clutch apart....

Well, it's a beast that's for sure. Insane power. I'll have to take the clutch apart tomorrow to unstick the disks.

Clutch plates were all stuck together, 15 or so discs and plates came out in 3 solid pieces. Sticks again after sitting over night but free up pretty easily. I should have sanded the plates but didn't want to ruin them. Easy to take apart if it becomes an issue.

As for the plastics, Rustoleum Flexi-dip sucks. In white anyway. Way too thin and runny. I've painted plenty of things, both from aerosol spray cans and HVLP guns, this is the worst I've used. Plasti-dip is better. Anyway, I've got a different idea that I'm going to try out as I want something with some texture.

I'm hoping to take the bike out to my in-laws today so I'll hope to get some video if I go out there.

Took it to my in-laws tonight for them to try out.

Then went out for some trail riding. It works great. Need to make up a spring loaded tensioner sometime but not a big deal.

20160609_182537006_zpsoggjuvdx.jpg

20160609_182521707_zpsnbvdvmcj.jpg

Last edited:
I wore a helmet. They usually do as well but for some reason this time they didn't.

Gas cap gasket is also on my short list of minor fixes.

Thanks guys. Nice to finally ride it. I've got a few things left to finish up on it.

I'll get some video of when I don't have to drive the car back home so I can actually get muddy and have some fun.

Had plans of going riding on the weekend so I quickly made up some things. Cut and powdered a rad guard.

20160615_140013514_zps2fqknrcd.jpg

Skid plate to also cover exhaust on the right (too thin, need to get some thicker diamond plate)

20160617_122440991_zpsuzvndtl1.jpg

Went out on Father's day for a ride but no one else charged their camera's so I didn't get any footage of me really.

My friends bike broke down a few minutes into the trail (his dad's bike actually). Towed it back, found a mouse nest under the hood with bare wires to the coil. Fixed them up but still no spark. Removed the plug and it had 3 cracks down the whole body. No extra plugs so that bike was done for the day.

On my way back to the trails I noticed my clutch slipping really bad. Any real amount of throttle just resulted in it slipping. I now have no clutch at all so I'll be ordering a new cable, springs and likely frictions. I'll have to deglaze the steels and check out the discs when I'm in there. When I tore the clutch apart to unstick it I never sanded them.

20160621_103106692_zpscivti9oy.jpg

Getting pelted with a little mud...

Little revenge since there were no more mud holes

Brother in law's Mud Pro 650

Reactions: Moosa
Might be regressing back to the beginning , but what did you use for sleeves when you extended the frame ??

No offense but when you first started this build thread I didn't think it would ever run. Very glad to see it going :cool:

Obviously has plenty of power, but Is it manageable in the trails ? Not always bogging or blowing the tires off ?

I used 1" .120 wall DOM for the slugs and used 1 slug per side. Then used 1.25" .120 wall DOM as sleeves over the slugs for the 4 inches I stretched the frame.

IMG_20150904_173137_zpsrrj7s8si.jpg

IMG_20150905_120318_zpsqolkdi61.jpg

No offense taken, I was flying by the seat of my pants on this.

It is manageable for sure, only need the first two gears in the trails. You could even get around just using second, still crawls nicely without being too sensitive to throttle input but also has plenty of power if you ask for it. It's more than you need but obviously no one puts an engine like this to make it a better trail bike.

Reactions: Moosa