YZ400 Blaster...

stevensj13

Apr 30, 2011
Willow Springs, NC
Hey guys. I have always worked with stock blasters and some race blasters for years but I figured it was finally time to go big or go home. I bought myself a Yamaha Blaster with a YZ400 motor in it... complete other than clutch cable, brakes, and silencer for just $275. It needs front tires (which I have plenty of) and then it will roll straight. I have a ton of new and racing parts to slap on this bad boy for the looks. Heres some pics of it straight off the trailer, I will be getting to work on it tomorrow!

Link to my Photobucket Album: Pictures by stevensj13 - Photobucket

The pics are too big to upload or link...

Obviously not in operating condition. Did you even hear engine run? Pics weren't real clear but front mounts look cobbled. For the price you did alright for a start on a project. Don't give up to easy as it will take 3X as long as you think, and cost ?-X. Just the nature of the beast. Should be sick when done.

Hey guys sorry for the late posts I have been working on it and researching for the past few hours. @Larry's Shee, the mounts are solid, a little ugly cause nobody painted em and they got surface rust, but they are good solid welds. I have a coat of primer and rust stopping paint that are going on the frame. and @Blasterfreek30, thanks for the tip, I have been tailking to Paulie B on youtube about the wiring for the bike cause its not getting spark. I might have to rig something up but I have 2 sheds full of parts for all kinds of old bikes and new bikes. Including Blaster and YZ so this build shouldn't cost more than a can of paint and maybe a CDI...

Hey guys sorry for the late posts I have been working on it and researching for the past few hours. @Larry's Shee, the mounts are solid, a little ugly cause nobody painted em and they got surface rust, but they are good solid welds. I have a coat of primer and rust stopping paint that are going on the frame. and @Blasterfreek30, thanks for the tip, I have been tailking to Paulie B on youtube about the wiring for the bike cause its not getting spark. I might have to rig something up but I have 2 sheds full of parts for all kinds of old bikes and new bikes. Including Blaster and YZ so this build shouldn't cost more than a can of paint and maybe a CDI...

good deal bro..keep us posted on the progress

wow that thing looks like a good way to cottarize your leg.... get some heat wrap on that thing... and your leg...

gonna be fun though. Vibration is an issue with those motors. no counter-ballence in em. the IT490 motor in my buddies blaster is STUPID when it comes to vibration but with a little custom work and new rubber mounted bar clamps, much of it went away. Hands still go number after about 30 minutes.

keep us posted.

- J

wow that thing looks like a good way to cottarize your leg.... get some heat wrap on that thing... and your leg...

gonna be fun though. Vibration is an issue with those motors. no counter-ballence in em. the IT490 motor in my buddies blaster is STUPID when it comes to vibration but with a little custom work and new rubber mounted bar clamps, much of it went away. Hands still go number after about 30 minutes.

keep us posted.

- J

By the looks of it who ever rides that is going to become intimately familiar with that exhaust pipe.
I have a an exhaust shield over mine, I have it zip tied at the moment and it isn't getting hot enought to melt the zip tie and my leg rides up against it all day.

As for motor mounts I got some Polaris Snowmobile Racing mounts from Wahl Bros. Racing. They wouldn't be hard to make fit a blaster.
http://www.wahlracing.com (90 Durometer!)
I have the First one in the top pictures, they work great! Before I put them in, my 400 was twisting over a half inch o_O But I have CVT and that has a lot to do with it.

Ordinarily I'd say F the rubber mounts from seeing dozens of these swaps done and they didn't help, but those looks so easy to integrate why not use them.
Be sure to also rubber mount the pipe or it will be prone to crack at the mounts from the motor moving.
Going from a rubber to a solid mount would be as easy as putting a bolt in place of them.