Your not a mechanic if you cant...

CC&Fabb

Jun 4, 2008
www.myspace.com
So the other day (a month ago now) my bro and I (djack12) decided to try and fix his Son's china quad that he bought for him last year and then could never get it running very well. Well, I should say it ran just fine until we said "forget this, we can modify this thing and it will be better!" To start it is a 50CC 2 stroke and electric start.

The first thing we did was look at the "restrictive" stock air intake and decided to chuck it and put on a Uni pod style filter. Next we looked at the "restrictive" stock exhaust (no expansion chamber, straight pipe to silencer) and cut off the silencer and installed a FMF "universal" slip on silencer for an 80cc engine. The we chucked the oil injection system and system and put a fresh tank of 91 octane with Castor 927 in it. We went to start it up and nothing, just turned over and over. At first we thought we may have lost spark, so we check it and we had it. Next we figured well, we just gave the engine tons more air flow and exhaust flow so we better jet up. We started off with a 55 main and went up and up and up and still could never get it to do anything except for start for a second and then die with NO power at all. We jetted all the way up to a 100 main. After we did that we kind of got annoyed and well, gave up.

Here comes the good part. A couple weeks ago since the weather got nice djack's kid wanted to go riding. Well, we really did not fix the problem since the year before and we figured what the heck we will give it another shot. Before we touched anything we thought really hard what might be the problem. we knew we were getting plenty of gas, air, and spark. But then we thought wait, maybe since the exhaust we went to was such a drastic change maybe we do not have enough back pressure. So, we went to the hardware store and bought some steel spacers and crammed a bunch of them into the new FMF "universal" silencer. We put the silencer back on and tried to fire it up. It actually sounded better a started up. The bike has an auto choke (what a joke) so we were manually covering the carb to start the bike up. well, we covered the carb up and left about 1/4 of the intake side exposed and the bike fired up and actually produced power. At this point we said "ah-ha!" we had way too much air. Then we sat around with our heads up our asses for a few minutes saying "WF! We threw away the stock intake and this Uni pod is letting in way too much air what do we do to restrict the air flow into the carb?" I look on the ground and see a steel washer that just happened to be the same size as the intake side of the carb. We then held the washer on the intake side of the carb and started the bike up. It again started right up and produced power. Once we figured out that the washer would work to restrict the air we now had to think of a way attach this steel washer to this alunimum carb. Oh that's easy, JB Quick. So we mixed up a batch of it and "welded" the washer to the carb. Let it dry and there we go! PROBLEM FIXED! Quad runs like new now!

I guess long story short: We JB Welded a washer to a carb and jammed steel spacer in an exhaust to make a quad run!I:II:II:II:II:II:I

they are not so much universal but more like silencers that fix a wide range of different bikes, mainly smaller bikes though. Like it will fit a YZ 65 through 90....

thats some redneck engineering at its finest

I dont have a dyno to "fine tune" it so its just tested with the 'ass dyno." And I can post pics of the carb mod sometime soon but the exhaust fix is annoying to get a pic of.

I am just happy the kids can ride.