Yamaha blaster wiring

Yellow/red this is 12v supply which comes from the stator and supplys the neccasary circuitary. Intially it connects to the CDI. But anything that requires 12v will connect to this at some point, mine connects to the CDI then to the headlight stalk on the left hand side to supply the power to the headlight.

I'm not too great at electrical work but I kinda know the basics. I'm doing a project and not starting with a complete blaster. Wouldn't the 12v (I'm guessing this is where you would get headlight power?) need to have a voltage regulator before it sends power to the headlight? If not I thought hi revs would blow the headlight bulb?? Or maybe this is somewhere in my wiring that I'm missing. All I see is the cdi and a little metal "thing" with one blue wire coming from it.

Basically what I want is VERY minimal wiring without any switches just have a headlight wired straight to the power that it comes on with the engine every time. Thanks for any help!!

that little grey thing with one blue wire coming out of it is the voltage regulator, aslong as that is connected anywhere to the 12v line, it will regulate the power by dumping whatever isnt being used to earth through its chassis, not sure how they work but I:I anythin else just ask :)

Ok so just splice in and back out kinda like a Y with the bottom of the Y being the voltage reg? Thanks appreciate your whole write up!! It helped me alot - had my mock up wiring done in like 10 mins and the thing runs!!

I:I

not sure what you mean but aslong as the blue wire is connected anywhere along the 12v line, and the regulator is bolted to the chassis it will work if that makes sense :) if you need me to ill knock up a diagram on paint I:I

yeah it took me about a week to work out what went where, i butchered everything up lol but it feels good when ya done and it still runs, and yet youve got a pile of cables and sensors on ya floor lol

J Yellow/red this is 12v supply which comes from the stator and supplys the neccasary circuitary. Intially it connects to the CDI. But anything that requires 12v will connect to this at some point said:
ok i sorta follwed your lead but were does this plug into the cdi? i took off my light and am gonna put in a toggle and no kill switch(just cut the wire so only key is hooked on to) but still wont run i'm thinking that wire but im still confused.

ok i really need help im using a pre 02 stator plate assembly and am trying to use it on my 03 so how can i wire it to get it to work anyone know and if so do you have a pic thanks Steve

Just finished a complete re-wire of my 05 blaster so thought I would share how I did it and what goes where seen as though there's a few rewire questions on here, one being my own :p

firstly, all I have left is my headlight, the necassary switchs for this and kill switch on the left hand side.`

the rear light, brake sensors, TORS, oil level sensor, and parking brake sensor were all removed during this rewire.

The Yellow/blk wire from the cdi, leave open, (unconnected) if earthed then cuts out. This is part of the TORS system and doesn't connect to anything since the TORS system is built into the CDI assuming you want the TORS removed. `

Yellow/green from cdi. This wire should be earthed in order for the quad to run. Note, if this is left open you WILL still get a spark BUT only when you kick it, not when the piston moves, which means the quad won't run so this def needs to be earthed.`
`
Orange, this wire comes out of the CDI unit and goes to the coil, this supplys the spark so is definately needed.

black, there is a few SOLID black wires knocking about on the quad, these will almost certainly connect to the chassis at some point and the other end some sort of switch or sensor etc, discard at your will depending on requirements. the solid black coming from the engine casing should still be earthed no matter what though.`

Red/white coming from the engine casing should be connected straight to the CDI unit.

Blk/red coming from the engine casing should be connected straight to the CDI unit.

green/White coming from the engine casing should be connected straight to the CDI unit.

Yellow/red this is 12v supply which comes from the stator and supplys the neccasary circuitary. Intially it connects to the CDI. But anything that requires 12v will connect to this at some point, mine connects to the CDI then to the headlight stalk on the left hand side to supply the power to the headlight.
`
Black/White from the CDI is the kill switch system, whenever this is earthed, you will not get a spark no matter what, you can either leave this open which means you won't have anything to kill the engine or wire a "normally open switch" from the black/White to earth to enable a kill switch.`

Any more questions let us know and I'll try my hardest to help!!`

I don't wish to trash anyones quad, so follow this at your own risk, this is how mine is wired and it works perfect, just being informative, cheers.

ATTENTION: WIRING CORRECTIONS/CLARIFICATION!
Not all of this write up is applicable to older Blasters, This info ^^^^relates to an 03+

2000 and older use the same wiring diagram/design. 01-02 is slightly different. 03+ is a lot different. PM me your email address if you need the 01-02 and 03+ supplements for the manual.

Green/Yellow (or Yellow/Green) is the PARKING BRAKE switch. This should not be grounded or the bike will not rev. (not sure how this works on J4M1E333's bike) The normal fix for a parking brake switch f-up is to unplug it, which would leave the circuit open. J4M1E333 is simply mistaken. It happens to the best of us.

Yellow/Red is definitely power for the lighting circuits (headlight, taillight, brakelight) and is regulated at 12-14 volts. Regulator Blue wire connects to this at any point and it will work. IT DOES NOT GO TO THE CDI.

Minor mistakes aside, good job J4M1E333. +rep for a good write up.

Last edited:
ok i really need help im using a pre 02 stator plate assembly and am trying to use it on my 03 so how can i wire it to get it to work anyone know and if so do you have a pic thanks Steve

Sorry no pic, but here is the thing. On an 03+ they added an extra wire to isolate the cdi charge/source coil. On a older Blaster they just used the black wire for the ground side of the circuit.

So this is what you need to do. Determine which coil is the source coil. It will be the one that the black/red wire goes to. On the other side of the coil, cut the black wire and add a new wire from it that goes to the cdi and connects to the green/white wire. If this is too much trouble, then get the correct stator.

ok quick question. theres alot of unaswered threaded mounts and wires on our quad. first it an extra set of 2 wires about 8-10 inches infront of tail light. whats the purpose? sencond is why does it look like i have exhaust mounts going down left side of quad? these arn't things that keep me up at night just wondering what are they for?

ok quick question. theres alot of unaswered threaded mounts and wires on our quad. first it an extra set of 2 wires about 8-10 inches infront of tail light. whats the purpose? sencond is why does it look like i have exhaust mounts going down left side of quad? these arn't things that keep me up at night just wondering what are they for?

those wires and mounts are from the stock oil injection tank, which obviously has been removed and you mix your oil/gas
the wires and mounts can all be removed too

AH ha! not used to oil injection everything i have owned thats 2 stroke has always had the injector removed already. I turned my stock airbox into a cooler, will hold 5 cold ones with just enough ice to keep them cold for about 30 mins or so.

Im not sure if you have seen the thread in the DIY part about those wally lights. Well if you have i was hoping you could help me out with the wiring. Those wally lights come with a red, white and black wires. Im not completely sure what wires i would have to connect them to. Would you know what wires i would have to connect to eachother?

Im going to be putting a pre 2000 engine in a 06' frame, and the 06 motor in the older frame. Rather than swapping electrical components, can anyone say whether or not i will have any issues with the pre 2000 engine with the 06' CDI? Do i need to do anything with the green/white wire coming out of the CDI on the 06'? do i need to swap the stator coils for the engine to get spark? Any thoughts are appriciated, otherwise im gonna just waste time figuring it out myself, lol. thanks.