Yamaha blaster still won't start

Thequadrider

Jan 7, 2018
I have a 2000 Yamaha blaster and it won't start I bought it off someone said it needed a spark plug but sent me a video of it running so dumb me bought it put in a new spark plug got spark didn't start got a new carb didn't start cleaned all the wires won't start and the spark plug has spark I have no clue what's wrong with it now it has compression so now it's just pumping gas out the exhaust HELP!!!!

Hopefully you didn't junk the old carb. If the new one isn't genuine Mikuni it's junk. At the very least you have to make sure that the new has same Jets as old.
Is gas getting to carb? Did you set the float height?
Need to check compression with a gage. It may feel like it has compression, but not enough to run.

Also, list what mods you have, and what Jets are in carb, someone will let you know if you are close.

If by chance the piston is toast, DO NOT buy the cheap cylinder/piston kits on eBay or Amazon ,they are JUNK.

Hopefully you didn't junk the old carb. If the new one isn't genuine Mikuni it's junk. At the very least you have to make sure that the new has same Jets as old.
Is gas getting to carb? Did you set the float height?
Need to check compression with a gage. It may feel like it has compression, but not enough to run.

Also, list what mods you have, and what Jets are in carb, someone will let you know if you are close.

If by chance the piston is toast, DO NOT buy the cheap cylinder/piston kits on eBay or Amazon ,they are JUNK.

It has no mods and I checked the carb and compared with the it with the other one and there the same but I will make sure to check the compression also I just took off the exhaust and it was flooded bad about 8 oz of gas came out so tomorrow I will take apart the engine and check everything

No need to take the engine apart just for the carb flooding.
Not a good sign that a brand new one is leaking. You are absolutely sure that the carb is genuine Mikuni? Did you actually check the float level ?

As to the excess gas, while carb is off, kick engine over until your leg hurts. Pull plug and let it air out for a while. Install new one.

Reactions: blasterbrian
compression should be 120 psi is normal.
and if you think it is flooding by the float needle valve and seat.
or improper float level.
why not turn gas on to fill float bowl
then shut the fuel off?
it will still start with the fuel pet weiner in the off position
if float bowl is full.

I BET IT IS A DIFFERENT ISSUE then just flooding
or you think it is flooding but it is because you keep kicking it
and it is not firing/or firing at the right time with enough compression.
check the reeds too

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/easy-and-almost-free-way-to-stop-leaky-carbs.33335/

Hey I got it started it was just flooded from the old carb the exhaust had 6 oz's of gas! And the engine was dirty so I cleaned that off and put everything back together and it starts right up.

My bike had spark. Would not start. Eventually a friend loaned me a known good stator. Started first kick. i checked the ohms on the coils in my original stator. Both showed resistance. One was in spec and one was slightly out of spec. Not a whole lot, but that small amount make the made the plug spark, but the bike not start. I replaced the power coil and the trigger coils and it has ran like new since.

With me originally getting spark. I was SURE the stator was not the problem. I learned a lesson