Yamaha blaster axle bearing replaced but did not help

Calvin

Feb 15, 2017
Today bought a 2004 yamaha blaster that needed new axel bearings the one i took out were completly shot (even found a few ball bearings laying inside the spacer. The old ones were so bad it left minor gashes in the housing i didnt think anything of it until i had it put back together took it for a teat ride and found out theres still play in the axel... The wierd part is the play will come and go... 30 second ride and it will have play then if i pull it into my garage and check there will be no play... Any ideas what could cause this or Is there anything i should check before i tear the whole thing apart again? And if i do just get another set of new bearings because theyre pretty cheap is there anything that i should do different? Tonight i will most likely be tearing it apart again...

Today bought a 2004 yamaha blaster that needed new axel bearings the one i took out were completly shot (even found a few ball bearings laying inside the spacer. The old ones were so bad it left minor gashes in the housing i didnt think anything of it until i had it put back together took it for a teat ride and found out theres still play in the axel... The wierd part is the play will come and go... 30 second ride and it will have play then if i pull it into my garage and check there will be no play... Any ideas what could cause this or Is there anything i should check before i tear the whole thing apart again? And if i do just get another set of new bearings because theyre pretty cheap is there anything that i should do different? Tonight i will most likely be tearing it apart again...
Update tore it apart again and chain side bearing went out! Any ideas or prevention tips on this would be helpful for the new set! Also it seems as though the inside of the housing has been worn down in the chainside.... It its bigger for about half an inch into the housing and then theres a groove (maybe from when ball bearing fell out last time?)

If the housing is worn, the new bearings may never seat correctly.
Time for a new housing too.

You didn't over tighten the lock nuts ?

Replacing worn parts is always preferred, but depending on the amount of clearance and your budget, maybe you could just loctite the bearing in place? If you're going to get rid of the bearings and housing anyway, maybe it's worth a shot...

Blue loctite if you ever want to get it apart again, red loctite if you don't, and 50:50 mix of red and blue if you might want to take it apart but you're not sure. (JK about the last part - please don't do that :) )

Reactions: R3dtick
Replacing worn parts is always preferred, but depending on the amount of clearance and your budget, maybe you could just loctite the bearing in place? If you're going to get rid of the bearings and housing anyway, maybe it's worth a shot...

Blue loctite if you ever want to get it apart again, red loctite if you don't, and 50:50 mix of red and blue if you might want to take it apart but you're not sure. (JK about the last part - please don't do that :) )

Locktite 640 or 635 works better for this type of stuff. it is actually engineered for slip joints and bushings the can push out in either direction. But yes, if the bearing is just moving a bit inside the housing this could be a bandaid until you can get a carrier.

Reactions: MR_Effing_Rose