Won’t rev past half throttle and smokes loads

Matty966

Dec 25, 2016
Hi my Yamaha blaster will idle perfect and run fine in the lower rpm range but as soon as I give it more than half throttle it puts like some sort of limiter on and smoke heavy white smoke I have removed parking brake and tors also new spark plug and cleaned the carb but it is still the same, it happened after it was stood for a while any help would be highly appreciated, thanks

Did you unplug the TORS Brain box ? 3 wires go to it , under hood.

X-2 on leak. If you take clutch cover off might as well replace the seal, it's 17 years old. Then might as well do the stator side too.
Don't forget to seal the collar and keyway to the crank.
I consider these seals as routine maintenance. And can save you from meltdown.

Larry mine didn’t have the tors brain box I saw that the newer ones didn’t have it, thanks for the advice

Hi got a bit of an update I did the compression test that’s fine at 120 psi but I also tried a carb of another bike and it sorted the problem it has the same jets as mine, so I cleaned mine replaced all the o rings and gaskets inside it and my carb is still doing the same do you have any idea what inside my carb would do this ?

Mine was sounding just like you described but I went ahead anyway and put on FMF pipe and silencer off of used bike I purchased put in a 320 jet from its old carb and it runs perfect screams I don't know why or what I did to fix it. Old 230 jet was spotless. Only thing I can think of is I removed spark plug cap trimmed off a bit reattached all at the same time so I'm not sure what fixed it

Mine was sounding just like you described but I went ahead anyway and put on FMF pipe and silencer off of used bike I purchased put in a 320 jet from its old carb and it runs perfect screams I don't know why or what I did to fix it. Old 230 jet was spotless. Only thing I can think of is I removed spark plug cap trimmed off a bit reattached all at the same time so I'm not sure what fixed it
Yeah I can’t seem to figure it out the carb is spotless but when that carb is on the problem happens but if I put my buddies carb on with the same 270 jet it runs perfect