will a bad exhaust leak damage the engine?

DirtyBlasterd

Oct 14, 2011
northern michigan
i recently purchased a real nice 91 blaster for my girlfriend/daughter. it runs great, but has a bad exhaust leak. the header hanger is gone as well as the spring so the header moves a lot. it also leaks where the header goes to the silencer because they were running it with no rubber coupler, it had been tack welded there but broke, probably from the header flopping. the guy i got it from said the spring came off when he was riding it, and the header came off, so it was running with no header for a few seconds before they wired it back on. i will be putting a different pipe on it, properly, but i was just wondering if there was likely engine damage? i dont know how long it was running like that, the guy said he didnt use it much after he lost the spring, but who knows

the header is a dg, i will not be using it but i forgot to ask if the dg flange will work with my fmf header that came without a flange? they look the same, but i havn't pulled the dg off yet to check the diameter

With the pipe completly off the system should not breathe too well and should not have done any damage.

I do believe that not breathing as well as it should have done could have richened the mixture up.

It may pay to do a compression test to see where it is at.

no its no good .. it will help lean u out a little .. sux butt gotta fix it before u ride it .. maybe nice to save a couple bucks now an say ahh heck im gona ride it .. butt ull pay more for a top end when u burn it up .. so try something to get it fixed .. ull be glad later not having to wonder .. if u think somethings off or ur questioning something chances are its in need of attention go to lowes or home dep and get a spring thell have one somehwere .. get it a lil smaller and use some plyers to get it on there ..

yeah, i meant my girlfriend AND daughter, not that they are the same person. i guess that did look funny.

i put a stout spring on it and improved on his wire hanger, before we used it at all. i just was unsure of how long the previous owner was using it like that, and if he could have damaged it by running it that way. it was barely wired on, and was probably falling off all the time

You can get a pretty good idea about the state of the piston, rings and bore, by taking off the pipe and having a look up the exhaust port.

You can check the rings/piston with it up, and get a rough idea of the bore, with a small mirror and a light scource with the piston down.
You can check the other side piston with the reed block off.

today i took the dg header off to try to put the fmf header on the dg flange and it didnt fit, so if anyone has a spare fmf flange, or could fab one for less than what fmf wants for a new one that would be great

when i had the header off i did have a good look up the exhaust port and everything looks good from there

If there is a bad leak the pipe may not produce the correct back pressure therefore the breathing may be different and affect the jetting.

A tight pipe is a good pipe!