Where to ride in NE Iowa ?

TERBOboy

Feb 14, 2010
upper NE Iowa
Other than that one park in Waterloo , which I hear is more closed than open , are there any other options for places for folks to ride ? ( I normally go down to Missouri to Finger Lakes park north of Columbia just off US 63 on the east side of the HWY , and go camping at the same time )

hey man if you're going down that way i hear bluff creek over by oskaloosa is pretty decent. there's also a park by lake rathbun?

I'll be looking this year too. I'll be heading up to the Tri County trails in SW Wisconsin for most of my riding. I'd love to find a decent place in NE IA. Oskaloosa is quite a jaunt for me.

I have looked at the iowa OHV Park website. When they list it as a park...what is that. Is it just some acres with trails? Or is it like a fun park?

What part of NE Iowa are you from? I live about a half hour south of Decorah, and about 20 minutes west of the Mississippi. I usually just ride around my farm and some local trails.

Problem with ALL of Iowa's parks , is that they require output of monies for this , output of monies for that .. seems that they are more interested in collecting funds , than a place for folks to ride .
Any kid between 12 and 17 has to dish out ( or should I say his/her parents have to ) $25.00 for some 4 hour class which is supposedly gonna teach them SAFETY riding . ( yeah right - in 4 hours ? I don't think so ! )
Anyway , then theres the ATV fee and "club" fees and well , lets just say , it seems in Iowa , its more about the monies than anything .
Which is the reason we go to Missouri at Finger Lakes park and go camping on long weekends .
There are no "club" rules , no "club" fees/dues , there are no "safety classes" your child has to FIRST attend , there are no STATE issued stickers/decals that you have to adhere to a visible spot on your quad and dish out the bucks for it .
So , all in all , when I inquired about where to ride in NE Iowa , I thought I might not have made it clear enough that state parks are NOT what I was looking for . ( reasons stated above ) :( :-/

I am coming to the conclusion that there must be either none , or if any , very limited places to ride ( without getting hassled by the cops ) , OTHER than state parks here . ( shame .... :( )

Last edited:
I don't think 17 bucks for a year trail sticker is too much to ask. What sucks is going to Wisconsin. Where you have to be registered there or your state. And if you are from out of state you have to purchase a trail pass that runs from July1st to June 30th for $35. So that's where they get you. Why the hell can't it be Jan 1st to Dec 31st? Oh I know, so they can get me for $70 this year since I didn't ride the trails last year.

I don't think 17 bucks for a year trail sticker is too much to ask

If it was ONLY $17.00 , that would be totally different . But , they get you for $25.00 for each minor so that that kid can go to the "safety course" .
Then , you get the ATV registration fee of $15.00 per year , and a $10.00 titling fee , and then any fee's that the club might charge ( noticed some had "dues" of $25.00 per single person and $35.00 per family per year ) and then any "admission" fees per park for the day .

So , anyway ... tell me where a person can ride for JUST $17.00 a year for that trail sticker your talking about ? ( without all the rest of the fees being added onto that )

:) which all goes back to my original b#tch about Iowa and Iowa parks ....

To get your quad registered , it costs $15.00 per quad ( and $10.00 per title and $2.25 per quad per paperwork - total $27.50 just for iowa Regi's ) . and for my sons to ride , it will cost an additional $25.00 per son to get that certificate saying that they now are SAFEY COURSE taught . And , let us not forgot the BACK dues for years quad was NOT registered .. ( no , my machines were not purchased new and seems farmers here don't think much about registering vehicles they classify as "farm equipment" )
So ... 3 yrs for one , and 2 for the other .... $45.00 plus12.25 plus the amount due for THIS year - another $15.00 comes to $72.25 for the one and for the other ---- $57.25 and thats NOT counting the $25.00 per son ( two sons ) that are both under 17 and would require that infamous "safety course" costing an additional $25. per , totally another $50.00 . Comes to $179.50 and thats NOT including the $17.00 fee for the "trail" sticker per quad .

So , ya see, there is no "just $17.00" to ride deal ( not here in Iowa anyway ) ....
Which is why I asked , and then reiterated the question , referencing places OTHER than Iowa parks . .:(

Well TERBO I've never been to a park that charged me, all I have ever needed was the trail sticker. And you keep talking about titling...you only have to title an ATV ONCE while you own it. All you need to do after that is stop at any fishing license place and get a sticker once a year.

So you are complaining about minors riding. I was driving a car on the farm since I was 11 years old. Does that mean I could legally drive on the streets then? NO. I had to go through classes and wait until I was 16. Same goes for ATVs. I don't want some cocky 13 year old on an ATV riding with me that doesn't know how to handle their bike or trails. I think a safety course is a good thing.