wanting to do a 83 250r swap into 96 blaster frame

96Blasty

Nov 3, 2016
I have a 83 air cooled r motor that i freshly rebuilt the top end on and everything else on the trike needs to be completly rebuilt from bearings to tires and would much rather throw it in my blaster frame just wondering if anyone could chime in and let me know if theyve done/attempted it and what would need to be done (obviously some fab work and welding). Pics would also be helpful! Also if anyone knows of any parts off the 250r that would swap over with little to no modifications that would be awesome! Thanks!

No pictures yet both were projects but wanting to turn the both of them into 1 project 250r was beat up bad and needed a lot of work mainly bought it for the motor and blaster runs good but needed a clutch cable plastics bearings and some electrical work but fixed all that up besides plastics so far, probably gonna strip the blaster to the frame and paint it up nice as previous owner did one shi**y job doing it.. just looking for some pointers/tips as to what needs to be done for the motor to bolt in and what I should do about exhaust fitment. If anyone has any ideas or previous experience doing this please chime in

Should be an interesting build !!
Does the R motor fit the swingarm like a Blaster ??
Search the Mod & swap forum for ideas and what it actually takes to do a swap. As already mentioned, the pipe will be the hardest part. Check a thread by member "Best", he had to use a flange to make a chamber fit a swap.
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/96-cr250-in-a-blaster-frame-making-the-exaust-fit.57184/
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/cr250-motor-swap-to-blaster.42828/
I think this is the one by Best, pics seem to be missing. :mad: http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/ktm-powered-blaster.36107/

Yeah! What happened to my picts?
Most came from Facebook and stuff gets blocked or changed between other sites.
Have a look at my Facebook page for many, many picts of the built in progress:
https://www.facebook.com/steve.best3

My advice? don't bother.
It is far more work than you can imagine and results are not as good as the same effort put into a good Blaster motor. I started with the 50hp 2003 KTM 250SX, you are starting with a 35-38hp engine. 35-38hp is entirely possible with a Blaster engine and you will have better gear ratios!

My swap is totally successful, and it is a killer fast quad. Light, quick, climb any hill, wheelie at any speed, BUT, the 5 gears are very close together. I have to chose top speed or rock-crawling capability? Every big trip brings another engineering challenge, ie: "wow, I didn't think that would break". Coolant and radbring a lot more complication and failure possibility. Stock Blasters do not get a stick in the rad.

So my answer? Bored and stroke Blaster motor in my 2nd Blaster.
I still keep the KTM Blaster around in case some guy with a new 450f needs a spanking...
My suspension sucks but for flat out power, he can't touch me.

Steve

full

full

Steve

Blaster looks pretty sweet man, and only reason im wanting to do this is because blaster motor is pretty beat and would involve me putting a lot of money into it to get it the way i like would involve top and bottom rebuild plus the left side case is cracked.... The r motor is the air cooled version so no radiator to worry about and i wouldnt have to sink all the money into the r motor as i would with the blaster motor. Plus i like being able to say that i have a quad that nobody else around my area has. I know fitting the pipe would be the hardest part but im not too worried about it, just wondering if i take the axle out and put it in reverse if it will line up with the sprocket on the r without hitting anything such as the frame.. the blaster doesnt have rear brakes so the brake lines and caliper and such wont be in my way. Plus im gonna be honest the trails around here are mostly open fields, some woods, and a lot of roads lol. So more or less top speed is what im looking for. And i want a project to work on over winter to keep me busy

I have been swapping motors since I was 16, that would be 40 years now. Snowmobile engine into XL250, 351W and 351C into Mavericks, 302 Ford into Mazda 808, all sorts of old sled configurations, even converted my family van to 4wd. I came into this with a lot of experience.

The welding is a big part of it. The chrome-moly frame needs special welding techniques or it will crack and break just outside the weld. The pipe is critical. Even my 50hp KTM motor will have less power than a Blaster motor if the pipe is built wrong. Chain alignment is critical so the swingarm cut out has to be perfect, can you really measure and fab that? And no rear brakes? Really guy, if you cannot fab rear brake or see the reason for them, you are not ready to do this.

I have seen many swaps attempted. Most never get finished. Wasted time, effort and money. Some get finished, but never really work right. More waste. Sell your 83 motor and put the effort into building a good Blaster motor. Cracks and holes can be welded or filled with JB Weld or bought on Ebay. Blasters are about the cheapest Rec Veh motor to rebuild and easiest to work on. You don't need a big bore or stroker to build 35hp (Raptor/Banshee hp) Buy a pipe and a rechambered head and ported cylinder and you can outrun a a Raptor or Banshee.

My KTM Blaster will do over 80mph (scary!) with the right gearing but then 1st gear is too tall. With 1st rear just right, top speed is 60mph and screaming. The gears are too narrow. My son's air-cooled Blaster (he has a DT200 liquid cooled Blaster as well) will easily do 65mph and first gear is still a rock-climber. The Blaster gearbox is perfect. In fact, with the exception of drag racing or hill climbing, his superior riding skills keep him ahead of me on the trail most of the time.

Yeah, we all want a special ride, but if it sits in the garage half finished or works like a turd, what is so special about it. Like an oversized motorcycle, you're just compensating for a small... self esteem.

Fix the Blaster and learn how to make it roar.

Steve

Reactions: jus_me
The 81~84 250r motors cases are a lot longer front to back and will not come close to fitting in the blaster chassis without a ton of fab work. Fix them both up and have 2 fun toys to ride!