UNI Filters

Braaaptor

Dec 1, 2009
Hamlet, NC
As many Blaster riders do, I run a UNI foam air filter. Why? Its hard to find another brand of filter which does the job so effectively at a reasonable cost. At around $ 35.00 for a round one (I have a CFM airbox, but you can buy UNI filters for a stock airbox), they are priced reasonably and sold almost everywhere ATV/motorcycle parts are sold.

To make a UNI filter work properly, you have to oil it. Thoroughly. Inside and out. Except for being a somewhat messy job, its easy to do with just a pair of gloves and some rags. You can't use regular motor oil on a UNI filter because the oil will just run right off, but you don't have to go out and spend $ 10.00 or more on a quart of special "foam filter oil", either. All you need is an oil with tack additives to make it sticky. You can save some $$ and just stop by Lowe's or Walmart to pick up a bottle of chainsaw bar and chain oil. You can buy a gallon or more of saw bar oil for what a quart of the specialty stuff costs. Im sure some people will wonder how well bar oil really works, but coming from a career chain saw and small engine mechanic, trust me when I say this stuff is beyond sticky and hard to clean up if it happens to leak or spill. My. 02

Bottom line is, save a little $$ over a K&N filter (which will leak dirt if not meticulously washed and oiled), and put a UNI filter on your Blaster. Your engine will run better and longer. Plus, when you get a UNI filter dirty, just soap it up thoroughly in the sink, wash and rinse well (repeat if needed), let it dry, re-oil, and reinstall. Quick and easy. If you've got an especially nasty filter, you can get some foam filter cleaner, which will strip oil/ dirt off the filter better than regular dish soap.

Reactions: Sparrow89
another tip to keep hands clean, put your filter into a plastic baggie, and then squeeze oil in, close bag and work the oil in from the outside of the bag. now you have an oiled filter that's ready for action, clean hands, and it's sealed up nice and clean to throw into your kit that you take to the trails!

I use only UNI , best damn protection you can buy . I have a can of PJ1 filter oil , it's a spray can and is about 8 bucks . I also run a pre-wrap on my filter for the extra protection . The zip loc method of oiling is a great idea , I do the same .
I prefer to run a pod filter , and at 20 bucks for a dual stage UNI , it's a win everytime .

I've got a Queston
I Also have a UNI (stock airbox type)
I noticed it has 2 layers
do you oil them both separatly or togeter ?
Nuno

You can oil both layers together. Just be sure that the oil soaks into the inner foam layer before installing it on the bike. Otherwise you'll have oil all over your intake and it may run down into the carb.

good post. I run a Notoil filter and use Notoil biodigradeable oil. to clean I use the special cleaner. Nothing else will remove the Notoil oil, fuel, soap, nothing but the cleaner and it works like magic.

But, Uni's are good, just were more pricey than the notoils when I bought.

what do you use for rim grease?

Good info for the people, Braaptor.

I also use a plastic bag and I use lithium grease for the rim.

@ Blaner, I run a round clamp-on UNI filter with my CFM airbox, so I don't need rim grease. But I've used regular 'ol lithium grease, too, on the wife's old Polaris to seal its filter to the airbox. Works like a champ, and only costs $ .89 a tube at the local hardware store.

good post. I run a Notoil filter and use Notoil biodigradeable oil. to clean I use the special cleaner. Nothing else will remove the Notoil oil, fuel, soap, nothing but the cleaner and it works like magic.

what do you use for rim grease?[/QUOTE]

I use vasoline! :D

what do you use for rim grease?[/QUOTE]

I use vasoline! :D

Lol. I was reading threw this thread and was going to post a response to the rim grease question but you beat me to it.

So, K&N filters must use their own special oil?? Seems like a lot of work especially for the amount of riding I do. What happens if no oil is used on either filter?? does it act like a cheap paper pleated filter?? I was digging through a box of parts I got with my Blaster and found a K&N filter in the bottom of the box. Does chain and bar oil mess these filters up?? Just gotta know... Thanks.
-Tank-

foam filter oil is for foam filters.
cotton k@n filter oil is for cotton.
lets not reinvent the wheel it is cheap
enough just buy it and go with it.
i think in the origonal manuals of
many dirt/bike 4 wheelers it actually says 10w 30w engine oil
for the filter.......foam filter lol
although foam filter oil is some sticky chit
and will probably block dirt better.

the japanese are not that stupid they made your blaster
go with it..........out of manualo_O

blaster airfilter wf 1.jpg

Reactions: BackWoods17
So do I need to buy the special spray/ oil or can I just use Dawn soap and apply 10w30 to the outside after she is dry??? It is a K&N filter. (Im told it is cotton)

So do I need to buy the special spray/ oil or can I just use Dawn soap and apply 10w30 to the outside after she is dry??? It is a K&N filter. (Im told it is cotton)

You must use the K&N oil, or others marked for gauze filters, with a K&N filter.

Do not use foam filter oil on a gauze filter.
Or vice versa.

And I wouldn't use engine oil on any filter

Buy the K&N recharge kit. Has the cleaner and oil in it. It don't cost that much. That's what I use on mine.

Yeah,I will buy the recharge kit.. I saw it for 20 bux or so at Oreillys.. Pretty nominal charge. Thanks
-Tank-