Two Plug Chops and Still White

MrShark

May 6, 2016
Plug chop method. Heat engine (3mile trail to riding area), swap to brand new plug, run wot through gears, hold 5th for ~8sec, pull clutch and kill engine, old plug back in.

Engine: Stock bore, Vito's reeds, FMF Fatty/Powercore 2, No airbox lid, outerwears prefilter. 40:1 with Lucas and 91 no ethanol.
450ft altitude. ~80°

First run I had 280 main, middle clip, 2.5turns out. felt good, no stutter, reached 55mph, plug was pure white with no ring.

Started over, 300main, went back to 2nd clip down, 2.5 turns out, felt good, had an occasional hiccup(cleared up with throttle blip)
Reached 56mph but still pure white again.

Tried in yard with 320 and seemed good, but before going for another test I figured I'd ask. I also have 340 and 360.

When you did the WOT run ,was the engine pulling hard.

Just revving,may not give a good ring, the engine should be under load.

Foot the rear brake to load up the engine on your next run.

I put a 360 main with middle clip for sh*ts and giggles. Little hesitation from dead stop but then rips, pulled front up in 2nd without trying. Pilot screw is confusing me too, when turning out I'm not getting a downward slope, it keeps increasing until it's about to fall out? I don't know if this carb is trash or I'm missing something dumb. Going to double check float, but I'm still scratching my head.

Did you not say that the idle was perfect?

What size is the pilot jet, if you have to add heaps of air then either the pilot is too big or the carb is flooding.

I meant that it would stay real stead, not rev up like an air leak. Stock pilot jet, I took pilot screw out and checked o-ring, put some grease on it, moved clip to 2nd down and the idle screw worked again getting highest rpm at 2.5 out.

Your float level could be wrong, with the stock 32.5 pilot jet and the air screw 2 1/2 turns out the jet could be too big or an excess of fuel is coming from somewhere.