Troubleshooting Stator

SndyRds

Sep 21, 2010
If I check for continuity between the Ignition Wire (at the source coil), or lighting coil (wire) to the laminate. should I have "continuity ". If a ohms reading, What? I've seen on this site.5 - 1.5 ohms is reasonable. I always thought there should be no continuity between the laminate, ans the primary wire.

Laminate? Do you mean ground? Or are you talking about the laminated steel coil core? (which is probably at ground potential)

The black wire is at ground potential when plugged in and that is the "common" side of the circuit for both the source coil and the pickup coil on the stator. With all the stator wires (including the black) unplugged at the harness, neither the wht/red nor the blk/red wires should have continuity to ground, but should have continuity to the black wire. If you do have continuity to ground, that might indicate you have an internal short of the coil. The coils have specific resistances that should be checked with a digital meter.

Exact specs and procedures are available in the downloadable factory manual. Ignition checks start on page 7-9.
www.rydindirty.com/blastermanual.pdf

If you have an 01 or newer, I can send you the supplements if you PM me your email address.