Trade Blaster for 400ex?

ryanbohr

May 2, 2012
Michigan
I've had my 01 Blaster on CL for a few months now. It's completely stock and is really nice, one small spot of rust, and one tire (original) has a small leak. I just got an email from a guy that says he wants to trade his 2001 Honda 400ex straight up for my Blaster. I was selling my Blaster so I could help pay for another quad, either a z400 or 400ex. The 400ex that he has is in worse condition than my blaster, and it's a bit older than what I would want, but if it looks like a good deal, then I could do it. Here's the link to pics of both of them, blue is mine in case you can't figure it out. Quads Photos by ryanbohr | Photobucket

Thanks guys

Yeah, I was more asking about if that is a good trade. I've basically already decided to get rid of the Blasty, as much as people say that they love them. I don't feel like throwing so much money into it to get it to a bigger, more comfortable size, and more powerful when I can just get a quad that already does that.

I'll say it again in a different way, I could've been more clear. Is the quad nice enough to make it a worthwhile trade instead of just taking the $1100 that I can get from a buyer interested?

of course it is, 400's are worth more, but it all depends on condition, and how it rides. the other reason i dont have a 400 is because i like to have something cool, one of a kind or different that people see and there like wow sick blaster, you dont get that with a everyday stockish 400.

The value of that 400 really depends on what kind of condition it is in. Also, do you have another grand to drop on the quad after you sell your blaster? $2100 will get you a nice 400ex that wont need a lot of work but you could also get that one in top shape for the same amount of money if you are mechanically inclined and have the time to do it.

Is he trying to get rid of the ex ? Does yor add say trade for ex? If his is up for sale or trade he must not care much, it's pretty dirty, which may mean it wasn't well cared for. What is his reason for wanting a Blaster? That's the biggest clue. Might be wanting to off his pos and get something else to beat the crap out of, JMHO.

That 400 is scroungy looking if you ask me. Your blaster looks well cared for. I think he sees that too. I personally would pass.I say keep the blaster. Don't cheap out! Get that blaster of yours ported and head re-chambered,and SMOKE that 400!!!

IMO id say keep the blasty.. It looks much cleaner and better taken care of then the 400.. unless you really know the guy with the 400 and know personally it was well taken care of or if he can prove it but by looks of things it wasn't.. and a good point was brought up, why does he want the blaster?? Maybe cus it looks clean and well maintained and the 400 could be on its way out.. sure i would dump my beat 400 for a clean blaster,, now would i feel bad?? Well me personally i couldn't do that but I'm just sayin cus I'm jus me.. Sleep on it, ask all the questions u need to the guy about the 400 if he seems sketchy that should raise a flag.. Granted i wouldn't like to see u get beat, but i also wouldn't want to see ya miss out on what ya want. But all in all if you wanted a clean 400 your going to have to do some$$ into it.$$ that you could use on blasty n have a sweet sweet ride instead of a plane jane 400... good luck man.

i'll jump on the bandwagon......he's trying to trade his quad for one that doesn't need anything, because he doesn't want to spend the time or $ to fix/maintainence that one, which it appears it needs.

pass on that deal.

Some things I forgot to add last night. He says that it has a stage 2 Hot Cam in it, it has new rear tires, and it comes with a brand new in the box clutch. He claims that he wants to trade so that he can upgrade the Blaster for fun. I'm gonna call him up later and ask him a bunch of questions, but I'm leaning towards no after sleeping on it. It scares me that he didn't even bother to hose it off before taking pictures of it, could be a sign to me that things I can't see are way worse. My ad didn't say anything about trading at all.

I'm just going to talk to him and ask him a bunch of questions about it, but you guys seem right.

Some things I forgot to add last night. He says that it has a stage 2 Hot Cam in it, it has new rear tires, and it comes with a brand new in the box clutch. He claims that he wants to trade so that he can upgrade the Blaster for fun. I'm gonna call him up later and ask him a bunch of questions, but I'm leaning towards no after sleeping on it. It scares me that he didn't even bother to hose it off before taking pictures of it, could be a sign to me that things I can't see are way worse. My ad didn't say anything about trading at all.

I'm just going to talk to him and ask him a bunch of questions about it, but you guys seem right.

one thing i have learned about 4 strokes and 400ex's is that once you change em up and change the internals they never run the same anymore. they just seem to run like crap after doing those sort of mods

one thing i have learned about 4 strokes and 400ex's is that once you change em up and change the internals they never run the same anymore. they just seem to run like crap after doing those sort of mods

LOL no? I'm one of the poor kids around when it comes to bikes. My friends daddy's buy there bike. My friend had a kfx with one of those ice cube cool cylinders, hot cams, quicksilver carb. Thing ran great by far most fun quad I have ever riden. As long as its done right it won't be sh*t. And that's with anything all this 2 stroke 4 stroke bullshit is dumb.

I wouldn't do it. I once traded my 2000 Polaris 600xc sp for a 1996 blaster that was complete junk. It was in pieces when I got it because it needed a top end rebuild. I was too stupid at the time to say "my machine runs, yours should too". I thought just putting in a new piston would make things fine and dandy. Turns out the blaster I got needed new swingarm bearings, new tires, and turns out the carb didn't even have an air screw in it. I sold it a month later for $185... I have learned my lesson. Although your blaster may be worth $1,400 and a 400ex can be worth 2,100, don't do it. You could end up with a junker and pay $800 just to get it in good condition. That's just my 2 cents.