Toomey B1 exhaust kit????

giantvt104

Jan 6, 2012
deer park, ny
I just got my toomey b1 exhaust kit in the mail today and i was installing it following all the directions and it said to install included 310 main, oil and install uni filter, set air screw 3/4 from closed and set the needle from the 2nd to the 3rd clip down. everything went smooth until i got to the needle clip position. i have a 2005 and when i exposed the clip it was already at the number 3 or middle position??? so i looked up in the manual and the 2003-2006 supp. manual as to what the stock settings were this is what i found:

Main manual up to 2002
jet needle- clip position 5J22-2
main jet 220

2003-2006 supp. manual
jet needle- clip position 5JFJ34-3
main jet 230

does the -2 and the -3 indicate clip position? so for now i moved it to the 4th down and still have to jet tune and chop it when i get it finished. i figure all its gonna do with it too rich is run like crap.

also with the boyesen dual stage reeds it said to richen the air screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn and the toomey kit says to close all the way to 3/4 turn from closed. if i get below the 1/2 turn mark that screw will be pretty much ineffective right? do i have to move up pilot jets at that point?

anyway any info someone might be able to offer is really appreciated. As always thanks in advance for all the help guys. I:I

-2 AND -3 refers to the clip position, 1 is the top, leanest and 5 the lowest, richest.

Leave the pilot stock and adjust the idle as per manual. No need to mess with it unless your motor is wildly ported.

The needle controls throttle from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, the main then comes in and takes over until WOT.

Far better to run on the rich side than on the (expensive) lean side.

ok so im gonna use the the 310 main jet, 32.5 stock pilot, needle on the 4th position (one down from where stock was at 3), and set the air screw at 3/4 open like toomey states. im gonna go out now and begin the tuning process. im gonna take it slow and see what happens.

thanks bummer. yeah im not the best at tuning yet so i have to take it slow until i can get it right. must admit its really frustrating at first but i def see the value in it. its so weird how pre 03 have a stock 220 and needle on the 2nd clip and 03 + have 230 and needle on the 3rd. that really threw me for a loop last night. im doing another leak down and then compression test then starting the tuning. ill let everyone know how it goes and where i end up.

6550-imag1294-my-dynoport.jpg

BOOM

Nice. I'm running an F7 pipe with a Toomey silencer. Love the sound. I think the Toomey pipe sounds good but I like the 2 stroke ping of the right bend better.

oh man lolol yeah i like the right bends too but i dont have any motor work at all. from what i read everywhere toomey is the best "stock pipe" and im a need it now kind of guy haha. when I start messing with internals then im going after a dynoport or power pros.

If u just stick with a stock cylinder an get it ported toomey will be fine..my dads runs good... Now if u go bbk/stroker dynoport would be the best pic.

yeah thats what ill do if i go with a bbk. got it all installed and jetted nice. this thing rips!!! i also called toomey yesterday and they were actually open. i asked them about the needle position change and the guy said that the directions were old and they are for up to 2002. in my case having a 2005 and the stock needle setting on the third clip not the 2nd. that i dont change the position from third and just change the main and the air screw setting. which is perfect cause when i first installed it yesterday i had some power lost in mid throttle range and when i changed back to the stock 3rd clip its runs perfect.

Now you have all the info and done the work, it would be a very good idea to do a plug chop to confirm your jetting, as conditions do vary.

i actually just did one with a 310 main, pilot 32.5, screw at 7/8 turn out, and needle on the 3rd clip. ambiant temp was about 60 f. heres a pic. let me know what you think.

Attachments

• SDC10185.jpg
    SDC10185.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 487
Pic is not the best, but the colour looks as if I would ride it.

I like mine a dark biscuit colour, but I like to run on the rich (safe) side.

yeah sorry bad backround and lighting. yeah i would say thats the exact color that i see "dark biscuit colour" i tried another pic dont know if it helps but ill post it. haha its not easy to get a clear shot of a plug pic huh...

thanks blaast

Attachments

• SDC10190.jpg
    SDC10190.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 468
I also have the b1 kit. No other motor mods. I have a 04. I want to add V-Force 3 reeds. Will I need to make any changes with the jetting or could I just use the jet Toomey gave me.