Tightening chain..

hrdkrtazz

Oct 30, 2008
Can someone give me a quick run down on how to tighten up the blaster chain?Pictures if there is any and please explain in details.thanks

first loosen the 2 12mm bolts on the left side that hold the carrier in place. dont take it out, just loosen the nuts on it. then, adjust the 2 10mm nuts at the bottom of the carrier that face the rear of the quad. those will tighten the chain itself. once tightened to your liking, re-tighten the 2 12mm bolts and you are all set.

about 2 inches of chain slack is acceptable. its better to have a chain too loose than too tight. a tight chain is a broken chain.

you must like to strech some chains then. compress your suspension all the way. if its tight at any point, its too tight. the heavier you are, the more slack you need as well. the owners manual is written for a 140ish pound rider and no passenger.

On my old blaster I couldnt get my chain to pop off even with slack, that damn chain guide on the bottom kept mine on. On the blaster I got now my chain was extremely tight, but hell I cant get the top bolt off for the carrier to loosen the chain. Someone tried loosening it with the bolts still in and twisted the bolt on the chain tighteners.

On my old blaster I couldnt get my chain to pop off even with slack, that damn chain guide on the bottom kept mine on. On the blaster I got now my chain was extremely tight, but hell I cant get the top bolt off for the carrier to loosen the chain. Someone tried loosening it with the bolts still in and twisted the bolt on the chain tighteners.

lol that would suck did you beat em up =))

with my YFZ rear shock I have about 3in of slack when iam not on it, then when i get on it the chain gets pretty tight. never had any problems yet.

The Clymer`s manual calls for 1.2-1.6 inches of freeplay. It depends on your weight and riding style though. If you jump alot you want your chain alil looser. I have the chain on my YZ85 pretty loose because I always take it off 50-60ft jumps.

sorry to bring up a dead thread, but dosent a loose chain eat sprockets? and a over tight chain strech out? and begins to start slipping off the sprocket?

"slack", are you talking about the amount of play the chain has? Like lifting the chain and pushing down on the chain?