Thinking about going 4 stroke....

jbuckster07

Mar 20, 2011
Akron, Ohio
Hows everyone doing!?!?! Well I have a slight dilemma on my hands...I have this idea over moving to a 4 stroker here soon. I have 2 options

1) Completely go balls to the wall on my blaster. I mean every possible upgrade imaginable. Extended swinger, a-arms, VF4 reeds, KOC port/flywheel/head mod, +3/4 stroker, right bend pipe, nice tires, banshee axle, cfm airbox, extended steering stem. Then ground up rebuild on the rest of the bike, bearings, bushings, bottom end rebuild, powdercoat. Like I want to build the most bad a** blaster, no expense spared.

2) Raptor 700, Honda 450R, YFZ450R, 400ex.

Now I love my blaster and would prolly not get rid of it if I go the 4 stroke route. But going all out on the blaster would prolly set me back over a couple grand. Buy buying new would set me back min 7K, but would be able to finance that lol.

Anyone have any opinions?

95% chance if you go 4 stroke, you will love it and wonder why you ever owned the blaster lol. The other 5% chance is if you happen to be like a few of us on here and just love that 2 stroke feel.

I've owned 4 stroke bikes and quads and loved them. They are better in nearly every way but I just had that itch for 2 strokes. I've had a 700 raptor, yfz450, crf450, kx450f. That feeling of raw power throughout the rpm range is nice. The power is also predictable unlike 2 strokes which is a big contributing factor to the switch to 4 strokes in racing applications.

Their downfall is that unless you are a professional rider, you are never going to be able to ride those powerful quads to their full potential. Its more like the quad is pulling you rather than you driving the quad.

But on the other side, a blaster is still a blaster. No matter what you do to it (even going BB and stroker) it will never be as powerful those big quads. It will hold pretty good against them but will never be better, especially if those 450s are even mildly built.

I'm not trying to say blasters are stupid and you should get the bigger 4 pokes, just saying it depends on what you like. Do you want all that power of a big bulky 4 stroke, or do you want that lightweight crazy feel of the 2 stroke. I choose 2 stroke but you are a completely different person than me.

I got plans of eventually finding a 250r and building it to make 450s look dumb cuz I love these 2 strokes

Reactions: jbuckster07
Common build that blaster up and you'll love more then ever I've had both many of them too but 2 stroke is my favorite by far plus 4 strokes cost more to do work to too. Stick with the blaster build it up and you'll think about y u were thinking of buying a 4 stroke and if u do u better watch out

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 276
I started with a 660 Raptor and moved to the modified Blaster.
Better power to weight ratio, less weight overall, cheaper and easier to run and repair.
Once you get up in the 35hp range you can run with the big boys without worry.
I fear no 450, I only fear a good rider.

Steve