The build has begun!

Come to find out, if you do a search on ebay for yamaha handlebar clamp, there are quite a few to choose from and different size bushings for them as well. The RD350, YZ490, XS650, IT490, XS400, XS750, DT250, and TT600 are a few to name that have the rubber bushings/damper for the handlebar clamp. Some with different size bushings so you can fab your mount to that. Cross checked it with Bike Bandit and the bushings are anywhere from $9-$11/EA and some require 2 bushings per side. A little expensive but sure beats having to get a mount with a taper in it. Buy a 1 piece top to the clamp and you're all set! Oh...some require only 1 bushing per side too...I believe the TT600 has one bushing...I'd prefer the 2 bushings tho because they are a little bigger on the tops to sit right into the mount

Well I opted for the 78' Yamaha XS400 handlebar clamps. Looks like alot of rubber here so it should offer a substantial amount of dampening! Here's my dilemma...they are almost too big. in order to weld up the tubing for the big rubber dampers, they are going to have to be separated more than what the clamping distance on the Blaster OE handlebars offer. So...I am wondering if there are any bigger 7/8" bars out there I can use to separate them more? Also...I am getting a billet top clamp instead of using the OE stuff...I am wondering if i will also have to use a clamp with a little more distance in between it too? I'll show pics for examples..

Here is what i am working with now

002-6.jpg

001-5.jpg

Here is the clamp that they offer (ASR CLAMP)

ExampleAntiVibeClamp.jpg

Here is what my spacing dilemma looks like

003-7.jpg

004-4.jpg

I'm thinking I'm going to have to make the piece that connects the 2 dampers together, then weld something to extend just past the dampers on the bottom where I can weld it to the steering stem. Maybe have to cut the steering stem down about another inch or so...because this will raise the height even more.

Just need some help on handlebar choice...something that spreads the clamp area out a little more so i can maybe put an inch more space in those rubber dampers!

Brand...I could get some smaller rubber, but I gotta research a bunch of years and different makes of yamaha bikes and see which one looks smaller on the diagrams on bike bandit. I can't use the tapered ones because i gotta machine the insides of the pipes to fit the tapers of the rubber dampers. I wanted to stay with the more rubber for extra damping.

Shee....I moved the clamps out as far as they would go on the handlebars....well as far as the grooves were in the stock handlebar.

These seem to have a little more room to move..but something similar to this

handlebars.jpg

i'm sure if you look around on the interwebz a bit you can find universal bushings that you can order to your specs

Thanks Titan! It should be finished by next summer...poor man's build! Haha...I want this thread to be legendary in build length here on BF...and somewhat knowledgeable!

Brand...I'm gonna look on ebay and see which clamps have somewhat smaller dampers...bounce it off bike bandit and probably order those. Don't want them too small..

It is pretty easy if you have some fab know how...well a welder and cutting tools work well too! With a manual, you pretty much have the 1-2-3 steps there at your disposal...and the wealth of knowledge here then you really have nothing to worry about. like fabbing the swingarm...takes some time and measuring 100 times...and measuring stock stuff helps too like the swingarm.

On a side note...found some sites with rubber bushings that give you all the measurements for different size bushings, but nothing close to make it short enough without cutting the rubber to make it fit. I figure i can make this work with these big bushings, but it will be tight. Man I can't wait to get all this together so I can see how it rides over stock feel...

The bars I just took off my blaster had a wide mounting area. They were nice, lemme measure up. I just threw them on for a few rides and the previous owner never told me the bend of the bars.

They have 8 and 3/4" of "mounting surface" before they begin to bend. They are not tapered bars either. Lemme do some research for ya. Maybe these bars would work, kinda tired. If this doesn't help then sorry for interupting the thread.

Wow...them sound like just what I would need. My bars only measure 6" from bend to bend in the bars...with maybe 5" of mounting surface. Thanks for the help on the measurement...just what I was looking for! No interruptions in this thread...maybe if you talk about your dead cat from 3 years ago then that will push it a little ;)

No dead cats here, I only take live pussy:eek:
I think those bars are CR-Lo's I'm calling Renthal and will find out for you first thing tomorrow!
Sent you a PM with pictures of the bars and measurements.

Last edited: