Stuck kick-starter

Swiftk

Apr 26, 2019
First off, let me say I’m a novice and my 11 year old son keeps saying, “can we just pay someone to fix it”, but I am stubborn and want to understand how this all works. Last fall I put a new top end on our 1996 Blaster and finally got around to putting on the exhaust last weekend. I went to try and hand press the kick starter today, but it is stuck. I thought maybe a ring had gotten jammed, so I pulled the fly wheel cover and can turn over the fly wheel, when the clutch is pulled in, and feel compression. Next up was to drain the oil, the. pull the clutch cover, which all looks to be nice a shiny and no obvious damage. The gear on the starter appears to align with the next gear, but the gear (circled in red) doesn’t want to move. I am not sure what this gear is called and I don’t want force anything. Any one with thoughts of what might be going on?

Thanks - Ken

Attachments

• 3CEC0480-25CA-4704-9FDC-57AFE83E1411.jpeg
    3CEC0480-25CA-4704-9FDC-57AFE83E1411.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 208
That is a idler gear. There is a snap ring and washer behind it. And same washer and snap ring in front.. The kicker. Turns the idler gear which turns clutch basket(main shaft tranny) which turns the balance shaft. Then the crank shaft.. Try turning clutch basket by hand. Make sure your in nuetral first. With spark plug removed

Last edited:
Idler is just on a round pin. Make sure gear face is even with other gears.snap ring could have moved.you are not supposed to reuse them once taken off

Idler is just on a round pin. Make sure gear face is even with other gears.snap ring could have moved.you are not supposed to reuse them once taken off
Thanks, I’ll dig into this tomorrow since it will be 23 degrees and snowing here in Denver tomorrow.

Thanks, I’ll dig into this tomorrow since it will be 23 degrees and snowing here in Denver tomorrow.
Plug out, in neutral. Turn clutch basket. You can see everything turning from there.good luck. Let us know what you find.. 23 dam. Im hanging by the pool and grilling

Plug out, in neutral. Turn clutch basket. You can see everything turning from there.good luck. Let us know what you find.. 23 dam. Im hanging by the pool and grilling
Took a little doing to get it into neutral, but afterwards I am am able to see all the gears turning when I turn the clutch basket, I can’t really turn the clutch basket by hand, instead I had to use a strap wrench around the basket. I can hear/feel compression and see all the gears spinning. I then tried to put the starter back on and still can’t get it to spin the gears. The teeth seem to be seating fine but it just doesn’t want to engage. Did I do something on the top end that is causing it to be too tight?

Thanks for the quick replies!

ken

Last edited:
What all was changed. And or done on your top end rebuild? How long was the exhaust port open with no exhaust on it? So when turned at flywheel engine turns with little resistance with plug out?

What all was changed. And or done on your top end rebuild? How long was the exhaust port open with no exhaust on it? So when turned at flywheel engine turns with little resistance with plug out?
The sequence of events is quite lengthy. Last summer my son was riding about half mile from the house he said, it just stopped. I rod down and took a look and a couple of the housing bolts from the bottom-end had worked themselves out and a couple others were loose. I put it in neutral and towed it home and took off the bottom-end and inspected for any damage caused by the low oil but everything looked to be fine. I then took off the top-end and inspected that as well, there were some pretty deep gouges in the piston, so I ordered a new piston and rings and put it back together and then left it in the barn until last weekend. I would guess the exhaust was off for the last 6 months. I guess I had better pull off the top end, clean it all up and see if everything turns easily without the top end on and then put it back together?

Reactions: Slydog
The sequence of events is quite lengthy. Last summer my son was riding about half mile from the house he said, it just stopped. I rod down and took a look and a couple of the housing bolts from the bottom-end had worked themselves out and a couple others were loose. I put it in neutral and towed it home and took off the bottom-end and inspected for any damage caused by the low oil but everything looked to be fine. I then took off the top-end and inspected that as well, there were some pretty deep gouges in the piston, so I ordered a new piston and rings and put it back together and then left it in the barn until last weekend. I would guess the exhaust was off for the last 6 months. I guess I had better pull off the top end, clean it all up and see if everything turns easily without the top end on and then put it back together?
Fix kicker spring first. Make sure everything is aligned correctly. Picture shown below shows proper placement.If engine is tight turning over that would be the best place to start. Because that is the last thing done to it.how did you know what
Size piston to order? Piston size should be etched on top of piston. Im wondering about you got it into nuetral with some effort?how low was trans oil? What was taken of bottom end the clutch cover?

Last edited:
Did you have kick starter shaft out?was just looking at your picture and it looks like the spring is. Not in the case correctly.

20200413_084225_copy_780x1040.jpg
shows proper spring location. Also make sure everything else is installed and lined up correctly. #2 spring guide notch sits over spring

I wouldn’t do that just yet. If it turned over with the flywheel, top end is not the problem. Pull the exhaust pipe and look into cylinder if you want a quick inspection.

I wouldn’t do that just yet. If it turned over with the flywheel, top end is not the problem. Pull the exhaust pipe and look into cylinder if you want a quick inspection.
Fix the spring like i mentioned first. And. Make sure shaft is in correctly.you can clearly see spring is not right.didnt see it first time

Fix the spring like i mentioned first. And. Make sure shaft is in correctly.you can clearly see spring is not right.didnt see it first time
I think when I snapped the picture I had just put the kicker back in and hadn’t tensioned the spring. I’ll get back outside when it warms up in a day or two to take another look.

Thanks - Ken

Reactions: Slydog