stuck in 1st gear

rigsboo

Feb 13, 2013
im new here and its nice to meet everyone but I have a problem so this is my first 4 wheeler and I just bought it a few days ago I was riding it and now it wont leave first gear and at wide open throttle it pops out into neutral it wont shift anywhere and if you try and shift it just makes that click sound that you here when you do shift and if you downshift and it clicks it will keep downshifting like usually if your in 1st and shift down it wont move well if im in first and downshift the shifter just makes a click....know what im saying? sorry im new with 4 wheelers in general so give me a break I don't even know the year its the modern style everyone has like 1995 maybe around that year

Last edited:
sounds like you've got a shift star/shift rod problem
it will not shift into another gear if the shifter doesn't return to it's "nuetral position"
and thats usually caused by a loose/worn shift star, loose detent arm/wheel, or weak return springs on the shift rod linkage

you're going to need to pull the clutch cover and investigate

i suggest starting with downloading the manual here......
http://www.blasterforum.com/general-support-17/downloadable-yamaha-blaster-manual-17325/

the parts you're looking for can be seen at around 9:20 into the vid...........

Last edited by a moderator:
well thank ya I have NO experience with any sort of small engine but after doing some reading I thought it was the shifter star or shift fork personally but I don't know...guess ill be looking over the manual

HEY! i had the same problem. its your shift star, and possibly your rod ball rod combo i cant remember what they are called but im sure awk or someone could help you with the name.

what happened with mine is the star was worn down, then the rod ball rod combo welded itsself together.
semi easy fix, pretty cheap too.

HEY! i had the same problem. its your shift star, and possibly your rod ball rod combo i cant remember what they are called but im sure awk or someone could help you with the name.

what happened with mine is the star was worn down, then the rod ball rod combo welded itsself together.
semi easy fix, pretty cheap too.

you remember how much it was?

so what yall think it is the shifter star AND the ball bearing welded itself to the inner rod? I asked my local atv mechanic he hasn't said anything back yet but I hope it wont cost me a arm and a leg lol

well my mechanic got back to me said im lookin at $350 in just labor I laughed at him...I bought a new shift star on ebay for $12 hopefully il be takin her apart this weekend

to bad I have NO clue how to fix it :( oreven how to take it apart guess ill be reading the manual