steering stem wiggle

Might also be that there are no clamps around the stem to the frame.
Just thought about that, should have said that the first time.

there are clamps. they are as tight as i can can get them. at least i think there are clamps, if i remember correctly. i havent messed with it for a while. lol. i just let it go.

I'm not talking about handlebar clamps...not sure if you are either. There is a raised flat piece that comes off the frame, the steering stem clamps go there, if there is nothing there, that is the cause for the play in the steering stem.

To help out, the clamps are dark plastic and are hard to miss. The steering stem sits directly in between the clamps and they should prevent the stem from wiggling

You will have to look over the complete steering system while your moving the bars. You should be able to see what part of the steering system has the play in it. Check that your ball joint nuts are tight.

Chances are that the stem is worn and the bushes. a tip for the nylon bushes is to tape a piece of sandpaper onto a piece of glass and sand down each one about 0.5mm or so. they will fit again like new.

Chances are that the stem is worn and the bushes. a tip for the nylon bushes is to tape a piece of sandpaper onto a piece of glass and sand down each one about 0.5mm or so. they will fit again like new.

Use a figure 8 motion when sanding, helps keep surfaces level. :)

7805d154.jpg

Reactions: 2-Stroker
replace bushings and seals, usually helps a little, but only so much because the stem wears also, but you could have that pc'd to help or cut the top and bottem off and weld a new tube in...

if your stem is worn, replacing the bushings wont do much! you will need to sand the bushes or replace the stem.

They are Not bearings, they are nylon bushes with o-ring dust seals

What number are the steering stem bushings in the part schematic posted above? I have the same wiggle definitely coming from the upper steering stem clamp. Could i just remove the clamp and lightly sand both surfaces so that is clamps the stem slightly more?