Stator Wire Haaaaalp!!!!

Blasito

Apr 17, 2012
NJ
I have a stator with four wires (Yellow/brown stripe, Brown, Black, and White w/red stripe). The problem im having is that all the diagrams i find are showing different color wires off of the stator (Red/white st., Black/red st., Yellow/red st., and Black (ground). I know the Yellow/red is for lights, and the Black is for Ground. But the other two im not sure of. Can the Black/red and the Red/white wires going to the CDI be swapped? Can doing this cause damage to the system? If not, what wire coincides with what wire going to the CDI from the stator?

the wires must be color for color connected and cannot be interchanged.

f3x8c1.jpg

Reactions: Blasito
Obviously an aftermarket stator. Probably junk anyway. Personally, I would toss it in the trash and save yourself the aggravation. If you're set on using it, use your multimeter to ohm out the coils and figure out which is which.

thanks for the quick replies guys. The quads frame and engine codes are for a 94. I was under the impression the stator was stock. I completely took apart the wiring harness and, per the diagram Awk08 put up, I got them down to the bare essentials and omitted all the light and TORS wiring. As it were, the brown wire turned out to be the one putting out a steady 54V (or so) while the yellow/brown was at about 3.3V if my memory serves. I used a drill to spin the magnets while the plug was out to get readings from the stator. She fired right up. I actually rebuilt this beast from a complete frame teardown and paint. Also had to split the case to replace the crank, rod and piston as the lower rod bearing was blown. Once i had my "new" harness done and fitted, she fired right up!!! Gotta love that feeling, besides a quick bench test a couple months ago, thats only the second time ive fired her up since the rebuild. Tmrw im gonna tighten up all the frame and engine hardware and hopefully take her for a test spin. Thanks again for the help fellas

Reactions: bummer981
the wires must be color for color connected and cannot be interchanged.

f3x8c1.jpg
i had actually found this diagram in a quick google search before you had posted it, but thanks anyways man. this thing was a huge help.

Since its a fresh rebuild make sure you perform:

Proper break in procedures - Ken has a video on youtube trust his advice
Leak Test! Lean condition will fry your new top end
plug chop to confirm correct jetting!

Since its a fresh rebuild make sure you perform:

Proper break in procedures - Ken has a video on youtube trust his advice
Leak Test! Lean condition will fry your new top end
plug chop to confirm correct jetting!

Kens videos proved VITAL in rebuilding the case, for sure!!! I'm still running stock jets, but i've seen/heard about this plug chop procedure before, and will have to look into it. As far as the leak test, do you mean cylinder compression?

Compression test and leak test a 2 diff tests. Leak test is to make sure the engine is air tight so that extra air cannot be sucked in creating a lean air/fuel mixture, ruining a new motor.
Air Leak info
Can build one from stuff at lowes/home depot/ace ect..

Blaaster has a nice instruction sheet and I always forget to copy it lol