sputtering until 3rd gear

JohnnyBertone

Aug 6, 2015
I'm thinking it's the jetting being too rich but i want to make sure before i kind of disregard it for now.
whenever i start up the quad from cold, let it idle and warm up, and go to take it down the block, WOT it will almost fell like it makes no power and is choking up until about 3rd gear and it'll rev all the way up and run fine until i shut it off and start the next day. it smokes more so I'm 98% sure its the main jet being too rich, which I'm personally okay with for now (rather it be rich than lean) but i want to hear anyone else opinions, partially because I'm interested if anyone else has had this happen, and also partially because typing all these responses in these forums makes it look like I'm taking notes in class :D

Do the cheap and nasty mixture check.

Warm the engine up, ride the bike and reach down and pull the choke on a little, if it runs worse you are too rich, if better you are too lean.

It would pay to do a plug chop to confirm the jetting.

Hey guys,

I know I'm chiming in on an old thread but my blaster is having this same issue and I was wondering if a resolution was found? I also did the "cheap and nasty" mix check by pulling the choke while riding and it gets worse so that tells me I'm rich... Just curious what the fix ended being for you guys?

Depending at what the throttle opening was when you pulled out the choke.

If it was 1/2 throttle the needle may be too rich if at WOT the main could be too rich.

One can do a 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and a WOT plug chop and confirm the jetting.

Thanks Blaaster for the response. I definitely did not pull the choke at WOT. I was between 1/2 and 3/4 and it got worse. I was suspecting the needle clip position too but I wanted to run the symptoms by more knowledgeable folks before I made any changes. Plus I plan on doing plug chops ASAP too..

An incorrect float setting can cause it to run a tad rich at 1/2 throttle..

Where is the needle clip it is usually fine in the middle position.