Sportsman 90 new rings, no compression?

yamaha28

Apr 8, 2011
I am rebuilding a Sportsman 90 2-stroke for a client. He said his son was running it and it died, his son beat the crap out of it. They let it sit for a few months until they called me. When I brought it in, it had around 40psi compression. I took the cylinder off and the rings looked worn so I replaced them with all the gaskets. I honed the cylinder out and it looked good. Now I am getting 50psi exactly, it will not go above or below that ever! Standard compression is 83psi. What is going on?

Sounds like there is to much clearance and it needs to be bored to the next size if that cylinder is even boreable (misspelled)

If the compression did not go up with new rings the cylinder is possibly worn and needs rebore and new piston.

I figured it out! haha it was a bad battery. It way showint 12.2 volts but it wasn't cranking it hard enough. I jumped on the kickstarter and the compression rocketed up to 85psi. Thanks for the advice though guys!

yep, I had a battery sitting around and used that. Using a bad battery could never do anything good for a quad! haha

What Im saying is. Before you put new rings in you checked compression and it was low. Was that caused by a low battery. Basically....Did it NEED the new rings?

ohhhhhh, I see what your saying, didn't read it right my bad. When I first got it I used the kickstarter and there was barely and compression at all. It almost seemed like there wasn't even a piston in there!

Glad you got it figured out and yeah if the battery can't crank it over strong enough then it not gonna show correct on the tester.
You will prolly gain a few pounds after running it a few times.