Spice up your polished parts

toyotatruckin

Dec 20, 2008
kansas
OK Im kinda new here and have enjoyed reading all the info you guys(and girls) have written up, lots of very good information and I have learned a ton so I figured I would try and give back a little.
Some of you may already know this trick some im sure dont, but i have seen a lot of people polishing bike parts so now add to your work and make it your own.

Etching is simple very cheap and its ok if you dont have any great art skills because you can use vinyl decals of just about any design you want. I did a very quick sample to show one way of doing it
Tools need to do exactily what i did below
good air compressor
harbor freight spot blaster (about 12-14$ catch it on sale)
glass bead
xacto knife with #11 blade
good masking tape
glass bead makes a mess and is very slick on the shop floor wear eye protection and gloves
polish up your part as good as you want it to stay there isnt really a going back after this (demo so i didnt do a great job here)
100_1992.jpg

100_1993.jpg

I masked off my part over lapping very little but making sure the part is totally covered and tape down good
100_1996.jpg

next I drew up some quick flames on the part
100_1998.jpg

took razor blade and trimmed the design out (if doing this on the part like i did use very light pressure just cutting through tape best is to do it off the part then lay down your mask)
100_1999.jpg

next s bead blast the part, you dont need to go wide open on the sprayer if you get to frisky you will eat up what ever your masking material is and what ever is left uncovered will show up and its not really a simple erase and your done fix so practice on scrap before you even think about doing your actual part--pull your masking tape off and there you go---your design is etched in the better your mask is the better it will look on the part thats why i said above vinyl graphics ---also I could have reversed the flames just as easy just pull the mask from the outside of the design blast and you have polished flames kinda depends on what your doing
again this was a quick demo part to show the process if you look at the flame lines they are not perfect and it shows
Finished part
100_2001.jpg

hope this gives someone an idea or two

A good example would be to take a company logo to the graphics shop have them do up the logo in cheap one color vinyl or even make a stencil, lay it out and poof company name on every part and much cheaper than a multi colored sticker ;) and repeatable

I used to airbrush RC car bodies and they make vinyl masks for them, hit your local hobby shop see what they may have in stock follow link below for what im talking about, craft stores sell number and letter sheets, stencils to --trace your stencils onto your making POOF your a Picasso-- little trick--lay out your masking tape on wax paper do all your cutting etc there and when your done just peal the wax paper off like a sticker
http://www.shopatron.com/index/137.0.6089.5921.0.0.0