shifting problem got worse

J

JackSchitt1978

ok guys, first off let me introduce myself. I am Chris and I live in New Jersey. I just recently got a 1990 Yamaha Blaster from a guy for next to nothing. It runs great, starts first or second kick but the tranny is giving me crap. When I first rode the bike a couple weeks ago I noticed that it was real hard for me to find neutral and it was giving me problems shifting up past 2nd or 3rd gear. It would miss every gear until it hit 5th or 6th. It felt as though I was getting it in gear the whole time but it would just rev. Along with those problems the bike was jumping out of gears from time to time and I find fals neutrals alot.
Well today I decided to take the right side cover off and check out my clutch and shift shaft. The clutch looks brand new and the shift shaft and shift star look great as well. I did notice that there was a small double ended spring on the end of the shift shaft. It looks like the big one on the for the shift shaft or the stopper that hits the shift star except it is alot thinner and smaller. Well anyways it was not serving any purpose, neither end was touching anything so I put each end in the end of the shift shaft where it looked like it would go. I put everything back together and now I can shift from first to second and back and forth but not usually with my foot. It feels as though it goes nowhere. I have to reach down with my hand and do it. I am at my wits end with this thing. Probably going to take the engine out of the bike tomorrow and do a better inspection of everything. Sorry such a long post. Any help is appreciated.

i decided to take another look at that spring this evening and put it back like it was, basically hanging there, and it shifts through all the gears at a standstill. was kinda dark and late in the neighborhood, so i will give it a test run tomorrow. hopefully it will shift like it is supposed to and not jump out of gears.

I know exactly whats wrong, had to fix that on fowlrocks blaster. it is the spring on the shift shaft, it holds the shifter claw in the right position to grab the star and shift it. A new shaft with spring is $20, you cant get just the spring. Any place that sells OEM parts, can get the shaft for you. I may even post the part number for you if I can find it real quick. I also have some pics that I took for another member who was worried how hard replacing it would be that show how it goes in so easy, if you are needing them.

37F-18101-02-00 SHIFT SHAFT ASSY

Keep your old shaft, you will need to put the large spring and keeper onto the new shaft from your old one.

The red arrows point to the claw, and the spring that holds it centered. The assy includes just #1 (what is circled) $20 at OEM parts seller.

shiftshaft.jpg

Here is the page of the other thread were we were talking about the shift shaft.

Shift Shaft Discussion page

Last edited:
Reactions: Valhalla
Just got it apart. It is the shift cam. it is broke where the woodruff key fits in it. Looks like if I want to fix it I will have to split the cases.

Line everything up and weld it. Take out the bolt and washer, align up the key and gear and weld it. We do it all the time to our race engines that come in. Yamaha realized this problem and started welding them a few years back.

I would but there are about 20 pieces there is no way I can fit that all back together and weld it.

Or do you mean weld the star wheel on to the shaft? That would work I think. And just not use the bolt in the middle. Is that what you mean?

So I welded it up today. Tomorrow I will put it all back together. We will see if it worked or if there isn't a bigger problem inside the tranny.