Shifter Problem

Skrt

Jul 29, 2017
Just purchased my first atv (2003 blaster) and I noticed the shift lever kept popping out of first or won't even go into 1st gear. It seems to slip out a lot and I tried tightening the screw that holds it in but it doesn't fix the problem for more than five minutes. Does anyone have an idea at what could be wrong? I was thinking that it might be stripped but I'm not sure.

Also sometimes it will go through the other gears but be in neutral

I had same issue... I put a tack weld on it and it worked for me, but that is NOT the correct way. Mine was stripped. You have to replace the shifter or the shaft, if it has a groove in the center. (Mine did)

I had this problem on my 96, it would randomly pop out of 3rd gear, shop said it was the shift star, they replaced it (?) and it was fine for years after that.
that was before I started working on and rebuilding these myself.

might be time to pull the clutch cover off and have a look

I had this problem on my 96, it would randomly pop out of 3rd gear, shop said it was the shift star, they replaced it (?) and it was fine for years after that.
that was before I started working on and rebuilding these myself.

might be time to pull the clutch cover off and have a look
Thank you for the advice

I had same issue... I put a tack weld on it and it worked for me, but that is NOT the correct way. Mine was stripped. You have to replace the shifter or the shaft, if it has a groove in the center. (Mine did)
Thanks, do you have a general idea at what this would cost?

Thanks, do you have a general idea at what this would cost?

you can do it yourself, especially if it is a bolt on shift star
this was in 1997-8 I had it done and forget what he charged me