Screwed up clutch

Iceman72

Sep 1, 2008
alaska
A friend of mine just rebuilt his blaster,and after he got it put back together all of the sudden the clutch won't work.It will not disengage.He is trying to sell it too me and i think it is probably something reall stupid and a easy fix.I pulled it apart and checked it out.Adjusted the push rod and made sure all of the plates were in the right order.He did have the clutch in wrong,and after I reinstalled it according to the manual it still didn't work.So i tore back into it again and decided to remove the basket.I noticed that the conical spring washer behind the primary drive gear was not installed.
I am not real sharp on the clutch so that's why I am asking you guys.I noticed that when i go to put the clutch boss on and tighten the nut down the boss will not spin freely inside the basket with no plates installed when the transmission is in nuetral.Is this the way it is supposed to work because it seems to me that it should spin.
The only thing that my manual said that i haven't checked yet was that it could possibly be a frozen bushing in the drive gear.This might be a dumb question,but could that conical spring washer be the cause or do you think it is the bushing in the drive gear.The boss will spin until i tighten it all the way down.After i put the discs and pressure plate on it looks like it functioning properly.
I can ride the bike and it runs real strong after the rebuild,but I have to power shift it.But i am sure that i am not doing the bike any favors by doing this.
I need some input,because if I am looking at buying a whole new clutch setup,I need to renogotiate the price on the bike.I'm getting it cheap enough that if it's only the washer and a bushing i have to replace then i'll go ahead and do it.

you have to have the washer in place. Also, make sure that the outer pressure plate is lined up correctly. There should be a mark on the pressure plate and the basket that have to be lined up to make the clutch work properly.