SB Customs LED lights

ride.race.live

Jul 14, 2011
Bought a pair of their round LED lights. Hooked them up to my banshee, they worked great. They are very bright and even worked on my stock stator setup.

Here is a link to the lights I bought, http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1555.l2649

figured id pass on the good news as good bright lights is hard to come by at a decent price.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice, i've had my eye on them for my spare blaster

CREE brand LED's are very nice. I use a couple flashlights with CREE LED's . My mini flashlight has one super super small LED that will make you see spots if you look into it. So it's known, CREE does not make any of the products that say CREE. They make the LED only.

yes technically they need to have a DC current... but ive been running them on the AC current for a little bit and so far so good... from what I read... you run higher chances of blowing them if you have voltage spikes... I do run the stock rectifier but that only controls so much. they do work.. but how reliable is it to run DC lights on a AC set up no idea yet lol but sh*t.. for the price Im not complaining.. they barely even dim out on idle

LEDs will run on AC but bear in mind that they will be turning off and on every revolution of the crankshaft.
Is that good for them, I will leave for you to ponder.

Blasters do not have a rectifier fitted as stock, you may be referring to the regulator which holds the AC voltage a below 14 volts.

I like them! i was thinking about getting a set of small LED SPOT lights like that and put them up under between my hood and fenders.

for under $5.00 and a little time, you can get a rectifier from radio shack and run dc current pretty easy. i rewired my 3 wheeler with one cause im running 12v dc lights since the ac bulbs are impossible to get. and i have one on my dirtbike to run the dc volt enduro kit and it charges the battery i am using as well.

Well they have been tested on a AC banshee WITH a stock rectifier for a little bit now and still going strong.

It was mentioned these would turn on and off every rotation of the crank... if so.. still no different then a strobe light which still lasts hours on end. IMO as long as you have a rectifier to limit voltage spikes you should be ok. and as I mentioned.. I did not notice any flicker or dimming of the light on my specific set up

If you want to step up and spend the extra bit of coin get a regulator as mentioned. regardless great bang for your buck on these lights!

Not only turn off at every crank rotation but experience reverse voltage for 50% of the time.

AC switches from positive through zero to negative every one revolution.

Rectifiers do not limit voltage spikes, in fact they amplify them, a full wave rectifier will increase the voltage by 1.414 times the input.

sorry i keep mixing rectifier and regulator up.... i ran my shee with these lights on a stock regulator... not rectifier.my bad

i'll just add a little to this, a CREE LED is not a bulb, it is a chip on a circut board, and the flashlights i have claim to have voltage regulating/stabilization built into the circutry.

Yes awk, most high output led bulbs with diodes these days due, you know when u look into the bulb n start seein spots that its most likly a quality rectified led light

yes technically they need to have a DC current... but ive been running them on the AC current for a little bit and so far so good... from what I read... you run higher chances of blowing them if you have voltage spikes... I do run the stock rectifier but that only controls so much. they do work.. but how reliable is it to run DC lights on a AC set up no idea yet lol but sh*t.. for the price Im not complaining.. they barely even dim out on idle

An LED in itself is a Diode, and performs a similar function to that of a bridge rectifier, however an LED only provides half wave rectification while a diode bridge provides full wave rectification, the LEDs will be perfectly healthy provided that their repetitive reverse breakdown voltage is more than 14V. You dont need a full wave rectifier(diode bridge) to run LEDs on AC, you may or may not get better brightness from the LEDs when using a rectifier, but this depends on a whole bunch of factors and its hard to say without knowing more about the actual lights. As for the not dimming on idle, thats due to the properties of LEDs, they are basically completely on or completely off, whereas normal light bulbs have varying brightness levels.

Although LEDs can be powered by with either AC or DC, you need to understand that it will only be switched to full brightness if operated with DC.

When operated on AC the LED itself will do the rectifying and operates as a half wave rectifier, which produces pulses of DC controlled by the frequency of the alternator.

LEDs do not have great reverse voltage ratings and should never be used as a rectifier.

Owing to the LED firing every half cycle it will switch off and on and cause the LED to flicker.

If the LED has a current dropping resistor in its circuit, it may have to lowered in value, to allow the LED to appear brighter and cancel the persistence of vision phenomenon.

LEDs are current based devices and therefore can be operated on low voltages?

You can operate a LED on AC, but the prescribed method is by rectification to DC.

Reactions: suprex