Runny gear oil

Boblaster

Aug 10, 2008
Michigan
Hi folks,
Ive had my 2003 for a week now and its a blast. I got some white smoke puffing which could be a couple of things, however I just changed the gear oil again to see if Id lost any and it was pure black and real, real runny. When I changed it last week I used 10w30 valvoline. Is this runny black mix due to a case leak? What seal is this exactly. Does the case need to split? Top end seems fine, lots of compression, lots of power. Lots of smoke. Should I tackle this immediately or hold off for a winter project? Thanks all. I:I

first of all white smoke is almost always a crank seal which is easy to fix. and about the oil, i dont know if that vavoline is for quads but use a oil like yamalube 10W30 or even better bel-ray gear saver 80W90. the 80W90 is more viscus, maybe go with that because you say your current oils pretty runny. MUST BE FOR ATVS. do not use automotive or other types of tranny oil because they have anti friction modifiers which are bad for the wet clutch in quads.

I am guessing the runny oil is gas/oil mix from the crankcase. Would this be right. Can I change the right side crank seal while the motors in the bike. Ive seen how to do the left, however I cant find any instructions on how to do the right side other than splitting the case. Im not sure if I want to split the case myself. Any suggestions? Thanks.

i'm not sure if you are realizing, but there isn't oil in the crank case. there is oil in the gearbox. the crank and piston are lubricated by the oil/fuel mixture. you may know this, but i see you referring to 'crankcase' quite often.

Yes, the crankcase is lubbed by the oil/gas mix. The trans is lubbed by the 10w30 i put in a week ago. When I put it in it was a yellowish clear oil. When I drained it yesterday, it was pure black, twice as runny with a mixture of something. I did smell it and couldnt get a good gassy smell out of it. I imagine it has to be mixing with the oil/gas mix from the right crank seal. Is this seal changeable in the bike?