Runaway idle while moving, clutch not pulling in all the way?

setyourgoal

Aug 12, 2017
Hi guys,

New to blasters, well actually I did ride quite a bit on one when i was around 14, but that was a long time ago! Just bought a '98 for $500. Thought it was a pretty good deal.

Anyways the bike runs, front brakes are weak, rear brakes are non existent, front sprocket is missing a few teeth, missing front l/r plastics, and overall the bike seemed sloppy, and needed some tic and love.

I just pulled the carb (which is a Keihin), and found the pilot jet plugged. Removed and cleaned both jets (jets are labeled 45 and 145, is that ok?), and reset the idle and air/fuel mix screws. Brought the idle to a decent spot, and played with the air/mix screw until it revved well, without bogging. THIS BIKE IS FAST. Faster then i remembered them, maybe this is bored? It does have a full FMF Gold series exhaust with power core. IDK, neither did the person i bought it off of (guy received the bike in lieu of cash payment for work he did for his co-worker, and his co-worker was the original owner, bought it in 99 for his son at the time).

Well, two things. The engine seems to rev a bit out of control when I'm slowing down and have the clutch pulled in. any clue what that could be? also, the bike seems to roll JUST A BIT when i engage first from a dead stop with the clutch pulled all the way in. is there anyway to adjust this?

well thank you in advance for your help!

some pics of the bike:
IMG_3337.JPG IMG_3336.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3335.JPG
    IMG_3335.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_3317.JPG
    IMG_3317.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3315.JPG
    IMG_3315.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 150