Refreshing an unknown

jkskier

Oct 7, 2016
I bought a Blaster to fix up so my girlfriend can go riding with me. I'm not looking to do anything fancy, but I want to clean it up, make sure it's safe, and prevent costly repairs down the road. The seller thought it was a 99 or 2000 model, but the 10th VIN digit is a 2 so I believe it's an 02. Seems to have a few upgrades as well as a few examples of redneck engineering. Now that I've read through enough of the posts to get a general bearing on things, I was hoping to get help with some random questions as I document the process.

I have front and rear discs, the TORS delete, the oil injection pump delete, motion pro twist throttle, no taillight, disconnected rear brake light electronics, and a whole bunch of unknowns. The engine was said to have just been rebuilt and it looks like there are fresh gaskets between the jug and cases and the other visible spots. The rear hubs measure 115mm across and the wheels are 9x8.5 so it sounds like they were swapped out in the past, which is nice because I need new tires.

Now with the questions.

Local shop has Sedona fronts in stock which they say are an ITP Holeshot knockoff. Any experience with those?

If the front brakes were converted to hydraulic disc, how to I identify what I have? The master cylinder reservoir cap says Yamaha, maybe a later year Blaster? Would that change what hubs I have?

Front wheels had just a tiny amount of in/out wiggle. I guess that would be hub to spindle contact. The outer spindle nut was on there but wasn't torqued down overly tight. Bearings don't seem loose inside the hubs. Think it's ok to slap back together and run?

The rear sprocket is pretty loose. I can't think that's normal, with about 1mm left to right movement at the top.

I cannot for the life of me find a wire harness connection on the carb where the TORS would have plugged in. It says Mikuni CORR and the old oil injection entrance has been plugged, so I suppose I will run with what I have.

A few pictures. Glamour shot, the airbox replacement, and front brakes. They're Yamaha but unknown other than that. Should there be a push rod between the back of the lever and where it hits the piston under the reservoir? Hubs/calipers for front, what can you tell me about them?

Attachments

• WP_20161007_011 - Copy.jpg
    WP_20161007_011 - Copy.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 327
  • WP_20161007_018 - Copy.jpg
    WP_20161007_018 - Copy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 264
  • WP_20161009_011 - Copy.jpg
    WP_20161009_011 - Copy.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 245
  • WP_20161009_014 - Copy.jpg
    WP_20161009_014 - Copy.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 224
  • WP_20161009_016 - Copy.jpg
    WP_20161009_016 - Copy.jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 263
How much wiggle ought to be present in the rear sprocket and rear disc? As in, grab the top of each and move left right. Are they supposed to float to an extent or be perfectly solid?

I looked through the later year Blasters' parts manuals on this site (thank you for posting!) and noticed that the 03-06 front hydraulic disc setups had a lot of part numbers starting with '5GD'. I see that on my front hubs, and the master cylinder/lever assembly looks a lot like what I'm seeing in the eBay ads when I search the p/n listed in the 03-06 parts manual. So at this point I think I know what I have for front brakes. Also, the p/n on the pads themselves seem to confirm.

I've ordered new carb/crankcase vent hoses, graphics, levers, chain guides and sliders, spare plug, control cables, etc. I also got more Castor 927 per the PO's instructions, and while the local shop was out of Yamalube for premix, they did give me some 4 stroke, Honda, 10w30 for the trans. He said it is basically the same stuff as Yamalube, do you guys have any thoughts?

Outside of internet shopping, this weekend was big on cleanup. I put the engine on the bench and found that the oil injection pump is still in place but blocked off properly. Cylinder wall looks ok as I can see through the intake port, etc. Frame was degreased, scrubbed and scuffed, and shot with Rustoleum. I'll be doing the plastics and a arms this week so that I can get it back together soon.

Dropped off the old front tires and wheels at the shop and will have them back with new tires on Tuesday. Also picked up a UMI foam prefilter for my completely exposed K&N. Not idea but it should help with the water.

Wiring harness it out and opened up. Can I connect the two wires going into the rear brakelight switch to remove it completely, or will I fry something?

Attachments

• WP_20161017_001 - Copy.jpg
    WP_20161017_001 - Copy.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 222
The Blaster is almost entirely back together and we are starting on graphics and details. PO informed me that the front brake system and a arms are from an 87 Warrior which clears up a lot. I'm wondering if the upper a arms are still blaster as the parts fiche for the 87 warrior shows two separate bushings per upper a arm, and I still have the one solid tube spanning the whole gap. Not a major concern.

RMATVMC sent me a replacement Motion Pro twist throttle as listed for an 02 Blaster. Turns out it is for the MP CR kit and I have the MP Vortex kit, which is a shorter throttle twist and requires cable # 01-0722. The CR kit requires cable #02-0036. Hope they get it straightened out soon.

At this point it seems the questions in my thread are going ignored. I'm going to update with facts and part numbers as I go so that I can hopefully help out those who get results from this site. BlasterForum threads seem to be ranked high in the Google search results.

could be wrong brake lever for that perch.
hence why it is missing the adjustment screw on lever
might not line up:)
or it is just missing.