Red hot exhaust!?!?!?!

if you are refering to motorcross bikes i have a Yamaha Yzf 250 With a Fmf power bomb header and if i rev it once i have let it idle for a while it will glow red. It is normall for them to get extremely hot.

my buddies yfz450 does that. we dont know y. it just does an we have it rejeted right. then he logged onto the yfz forums an they said it does that from the factory. it will litlerly melt jeans if ur leg hits it. so from that id think its fine. im not an expert but thats just off info that we looked up for his quad. so idk

if it just started doing it... is something in your exhaust??? if a mouse gets into the muffler and makes a nest it will jack the back pressure up which will make it run hotter... or did the temp just drop alot recently?? if so its a lean condition

not sure in that bike but on the 450 with a am pipe its supose to glow so far out.....to much glow your to lean

It shouldt glow if it idles for only two minutes, it is too lean, how does it run in the lower throttle ranges? Does it bog? If that is the case then it is lean. If you havent done the BK carb mod then you should do that also, it makes them run so much better

After the yfz450 came out yamaha was telling people the reason the exhaust was turning red was because of the thin wall tubing they used to make their exhaust.

well it is normal if you are riding it around to glow about 3 inches past the exhaust port. But it shouldnt glow if it is just idling for 2 minutes, if the idle is set right, and it is jetted right

if it just started doing it... is something in your exhaust??? if a mouse gets into the muffler and makes a nest it will jack the back pressure up which will make it run hotter... or did the temp just drop alot recently?? if so its a lean condition

the big part of my FMF pipe that i got with my blaster was so clogged up with a mouse nest that water couldn't flow through it lol. it took about an hour and a half with a coat hanger and running water to get it broken up/flushed out lol

After the yfz450 came out yamaha was telling people the reason the exhaust was turning red was because of the thin wall tubing they used to make their exhaust.

i am talking about an am pipe HMF....its states in the directions that it should glow a few inches out from the exhaust port....any more then that it is lean

i am talking about an am pipe HMF....its states in the directions that it should glow a few inches out from the exhaust port....any more then that it is lean

I agree that it is too lean. When I put and aftermarket exhaust on my streetbike the header would turn cherry red down to the first bend on warm up. Then I had the bike tuned Fuel injected. It was fine just cherried up about a half inch. And before the tune the power commander was always on the lean side of the meter.

this is normal on the raptors, stock pipe or after market, but i would definitely check the plug just to make sure.

oh it happens to the raptors if they're just idling too.

Last edited:
dude dont worry lol.....

if I let my 450r idle for like 45seconds it starts to glow, and it is jetted PERFECT! lol

have you ever held a 4 stroke pipe? they weigh like a ounce lol