Rear Shock Adjustment

Would adjusting the rear shock really make that much of a difference?

Is it a stock Blaster shock? If so, no......not really. The only adjustment is preload which is why aftermarket shocks and swaps like the 400ex, 450R, and 250R rear shocks are so popular because they give you compression and rebound adjustability. Adjusting the preload MAINLY just affects your ride height. It can however increase compressive force when you increase/tighten the spring on the preload....which in turn tends to increase rebound as well as it is more tightly sprung. Keeping in mind that this will also decrease shock travel as well which will put it at higher risk of bottoming out on jumps.

Yes, it's a stock Blaster rear shock and I weigh 230lbs. So any adjustment wouldn't make a noticable difference.

Right now shock only has about 1/4 inch of thread showing under the bottom adjusting nut. would it be a good idea to move up the adj. nuts. I don't do much jumping mainly trail riding.

Right now shock only has about 1/4 inch of thread showing under the bottom adjusting nut. would it be a good idea to move up the adj. nuts. I don't do much jumping mainly trail riding.

It's probably riding fairly "soft" there then. Probably good for your weight and trail riding, but you can always play with it. It's just a nut. Play with it the next time you go out and ride and see if you like any of the spots better than others. I:I

Reactions: Markblaster
It's just a nut. Play with it the next time you go out and ride and see if you like any of the spots better than others. I:I

That's what she said! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Seriously though, the adjustment on the read shock on the blaster is all but useless. It's not even a preload adjuster... it's adjusts the length of the shock eye to eye (by about an inch) to "preload" the rear suspension higher up.

The 400EX shock body (and pretty much every aftermarket shock absorber) is threaded and the spring is actually preloaded by turning the nut down.

Ha. Well since I'm 160 soaking wet I won't waste my time the shocks are ok for now anyway. My tire should be in tomorrow thankfully