Rear Light.

Gene

Mar 26, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Has anyone tried to wire up a back up light on the Blaster. As we all know when we are trail riding at night sometimes we find ourselves needing to back down a hill not an easy thing to do when your last in line. On my Honda Forman it's a must have. My son will be riding the blaster this year so when he is put in that situation I want him to be able to back down safely..

So can I run the low beam wire off the switch to power a back up light? Low beam back up light, High beam head light...........

If he rides next to last in line, he won't need a backup light. Lol. Just run a single LED light in the rear connected to a switch. An LED shouldn't overload the lighting stator.

I not sure an LED light would emit enough light unless I spent some major coin for what LED's offer today. In addition I don't want to add additional switches and wires, I want to keep it clean and maintenance free it u know what I mean..

The problem with running 2 lights at the same time is that it will overwork the lighting coil.

The stock coil can only safely handle 55 watts.

You could power the rear lamp via a DPDT switch, which would switch between between the head and rear light, you do not need both on at the same time.

When reversing you will not need a great amount of light as progress will be slow, a low wattage LED will produce a ample quantity of light.

I agree Blaster. The fact is I don't know how the circuit works. What I had visioned is when the low beam is switched On the High beam looses power.. not running both lights at the same time.. High beam head light, low beam back up light not both at the same time.. Perhaps I'm thinking outside of what the system is capable of..

if your missing the tail light you maybe missing the wires on front brake and rear brake to engage the brake light when you apply the brake. Light will still be lit up but you wont be able to tell if someone is slowing down:) also the light are dimmer when motor is at idle because they run off the generator, not a battery. or whatever you want to call it :)

http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/tail-light-wiring-help.29633/

Last edited:
I agree Blaster. The fact is I don't know how the circuit works. What I had visioned is when the low beam is switched On the High beam looses power.. not running both lights at the same time.. High beam head light, low beam back up light not both at the same time.. Perhaps I'm thinking outside of what the system is capable of..
It will be ok if you only run one light at a time, it is possible to switch between them!

The 55 watts AC voltage produced by the alternator is sufficient to light one globe at a time!

The 55 watts AC voltage produced by the alternator is sufficient to light one globe at a time!

the stock bike came with a high/low beam headlight and a rear light that stayed on at all times when the headlight was on, and an oil warning light, thats 3 total ?
run as many lights as needed, as long as they're no more than 55 watts total

/\ /\ /\ My bad you can run the 3 standard fitted lights at one time, but only one of the high/low filaments at one time.

Has anyone tried to wire up a back up light on the Blaster. As we all know when we are trail riding at night sometimes we find ourselves needing to back down a hill not an easy thing to do when your last in line. On my Honda Forman it's a must have. My son will be riding the blaster this year so when he is put in that situation I want him to be able to back down safely..

So can I run the low beam wire off the switch to power a back up light? Low beam back up light, High beam head light...........

Hi guys so I'm new to blasters. I bought a 2002 yamaha blaster 200 for 500$ it has headlights that work but do not have any taillights or break lights. Can anyone explain and show a diagram of how to connect a tail and break light on to it.