Rear axle removal

gearhead04

Jun 8, 2009
So I got that stuborn swingarm bolt out to get my engine out. Now I need to get the axle out of the carrier. Right now I have to two large nuts off, the hubs are both off, brake caliper and rotor are off, and the carrier is off the frame at the moment. Does the hub that the rear sprocket is bolted to turn off the axle?? It looks like it does, If so what do you put on there to get it off? And will the axle go out of the carrier either way? I'd think with the large nuts on one side is would only come out in the other direction.

Last edited:
beat the sh*t out of it, from the left to right, the castle nuts should be on the left and you will need to beat the ever living sh*t out of it, trust me mine was a biotch.

Reactions: gearhead04
oh, and that hub that has the rear sprocket turns off?????? Should I just put a pipe wrench on it or is there a special tool for it? Thanks.

bump...... How do I get the hub with the rear sprocket off? I had a pipe wrench on it, can't seem to budge it?

really?? Damn, I just figured it was threaded on there. I chewed it all up with the pipe wrench for nothing. I'm just suprised it didn't turn at all.. Thanks, I'll try it tommorrow

I'm removing my axle now, using the "beat the sh*t out of it" method, my question is how hard is it to put the new axle in? i plan on getting the carrier powder coated and a new g-force axle

man i dont see why you guys are having so much trouble the axle slides out from left to right when your standing behind the bike. the sprocket hub just slides off the same way the two nuts did. when u put it back togeather just do everything in reverse.

I have a 2006 Yamaha blaster and I need change the the rear axle bearing because the axle has alittle bit of play in it. I took the brake caliber off and the disk off I also took the chain and sprocket off and the 1 bolt on each side that holds the hub and tire on. I have beat on it a lot with a block of wood and a hammer but it does not seem to be moving that much at all. I don't know what to do next or if im missing something that's still holding it on.