Pod Filter

^^Exactly. An Outerwear will keep the worst of debris off the filter, but that does not mean it's waterproof. I ran a K&N pod air filter on my Blaster for awhile, and didn't like it. I never could get the carburetor tuned properly with it on there and I was always having to clean it from all the dust. Even with an Outerwear on there. I have since ordered a CFM airbox to use...

I use a Uni 2 stage foam filter with a outerwears pre-filter . I'll have to argue with Oregon that K&N is better , no sense really in arguing because it just isn't better than a UNI . I run a POD setup and have zero tuning issues . I do ride in the dunes , and yeah sometimes splash through the water and I have no problems at all. If you submerge your blaster , no matter what your gonna have problems , even with a airbox your gonna have problems . Unless you build a intake snorkel and exhaust snorkel , you are gonna have issues . if you are simply splashing through some puddles every now and again you aint gonna suck water into the engine , you have a swingarm , rear shock , frame , motor to deflect most of it anyways . still worried? make a aluminum splash guard that will deflect water coming straight up at it .

if all you do is "splash" thru the water thats one things, but if you regularly ride thru water, mud and other wet nasty stuff, a pod filter is not for you. An air box offers way better protection against your motor digesting unwanted fluids.

I have used both K&N and Uni............my preference is K&N, but may be just a matter of choice.

a guy i know had a z400 with a uni filter on back of the carb. he rode through a small creek and when he got the bike home it wouldnt start anymore. he took it to the shop and they said he sucked up water in the filter and blew the top end. long story short, they arent good for water riding. i live in az, so i ride with one cuz it rains maybe twice a year.

Long story short..........

.......no filter is good for water.

No filter will shield water.......this is why airboxes were invented. Outerwears pre filters will help because beads of water will bounce off of it in most cases, but if you submerged it or splash water on it, water can still get through. If you are asking which one flows better?...probably K&N...by an insignificant amount.....like 0.1 hp difference. It's not like there is a night and day difference between K&N and Uni and you won't even feel the difference between the two.

Me? For cars.....K&N. For my Blaster?....Uni. Why Uni? It's washable so I only need one regardless of how dirty it gets. It's a dual stage filter......AKA there are 2 filters in one with different foam densities. I can control the level of protection by how much I personally oil the filter.

Water and an open pod doesn't work.....period. You can build a deflector shield on the front of the pod and it will help out, but not a whole lot if you are hitting water and mud as it will manage to hit every crevasse of a quad if you are going through it. Best to use the stock airbox with the lid in those cases.

only problem with my k&n/outwear pod was skippin a 60-70 foot puddle and third run i sucked water and killed it, a million kicks and a couple plugs later (about 20 min in all reality) she was back up and runnin, i've found mine is tougher to tune than a air box for whatever reason as well, i'm told a short tube inbetween the filter and carb would be the fix but i haven't got around to it

dont use a pod filter...
ever wonder why the flat slide was developed..... for direct filter use in racing.

dont use them on a round slide or CV carb
they can be tuned but it will be a nightmare to get it to run decent even then tuning with |EGT guages Ive never been 100% happy with the results using a pod filter.

K&N have no use on anything offroad or street. If your racing ok but mo mfg uses gause filters for a reason... they suck! If you must use a pod filter use a foam UNI pod and oil it well. Also the best way to tune a POD filter set up is mopve the filter away from the carb via a velocity stack. A simple rubber hose 3" long attached to the carb and the filter attached to it will be best. But for what its worth I would strongly recommend just using the OE airbox.

so flatslide is easier to tune with a pod on it huh, do they still like some space or clamped straight on? don't know never ran a flat slide on my quad, just curious

A short tube before the carb and pod is preferred in most cases. Most people reference that because it carries more velocity to the carb. I prefer it simply because it is a pain in the ass to jet at different speeds when you have air flowing over the quad/pod filter and creating a lot of turbulence into/around/and over the filter membrane causing jetting to vary. A balancer tube/velocity stack also helps cure this by extending the airflow through a body before it reaches the carb and decreasing turbulence and varied airflow.

i am about to get one i try to stay away from water but im not to good at it and dont want to spent a lot of money on a air filter and i am jetting to 250 what should i get? and or do to make up for that?

I run a pod filter - knock of uni... Damn thing runs great, stock blaster carb. I do have a 300main in it though, seems a little lean, not done jetting. Gonna do some more work on it tomorrow.

Stock air box made it to rich. I put the pod filter on and it became lean lol.

ok soo what air filter should i get ?
and if i am goin to jet in the future wich filters will give me problems?

Bringing up an old post but I have to say YFS101 you're an idiot a flat slide or even a d slide was not made to run pods, they were mad to slim down the width from Venturi to bell to fit in tighter spots. To those of you wanting to run a pod do it, you Will have to rejet since it is severely changing your air to fuel ratio (richen the main). Water is water, it's bad for a motor, you're on a 2 stroke not a 4x4 so don't go fording, the occasional creek crossing is fine just be mindful of the fact you have no water deflector.