Piston skirt damage

Smaugrens

Aug 31, 2017
I looked over the "piston diagnostic" post and didn't see a pic like this. These ridges are only on one side of my piston. I never had the thing seize up on me, this is just what I found in the process of rebuilding from the bottom up. I brought it to a shop and they said it would have to be replaced with this kind of damage, though I had hoped it might be able to be sanded. This is off a 92 Blaster. I'm just curious what might have caused this, if someone can tell me.

20170909_153751.jpg

Rings were ok but it looked like someone put the top one on upside down. It's all stock from what I know. It's had a good run so it's not too much of a disappointment. I had left the cylinder out and unoiled for several years because I really didn't know what I was doing, so there's a little rust in there. There are some small ridges the shop owner said he could feel with his fingernails and he didn't want to bother charging me for a hone job because he felt it wouldn't fix the problem. I'll see if I can get a cylinder pic.